Experimental aircraft purchase - Do I need to pay sales tax and how? (California USA)

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

skydawg

California will quickly track you down and harass you with fees and penalties. At one point they wanted the airlines to pay state sales tax on everything sold to passengers in flight while over the state. some counties will be may be cheaper than others. Suggest just pay up front.

skydawg

California came after a bunch of us airline pilots that were based in the state but lived elsewhere. It's not uncommon for crew to commute in just to work. The state began taxing many stating they were spending more time in the state than their home state and started taking income taxes. ....it was up to them to prove it.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I always get a kick out of someone in Kalifornia asking if they have to pay some tax. Of course they do!

Built2Fly

You are right. :) And you know that the California income tax is about 10% on top of what Uncle Sam takes. Don't forget that we have property tax, sales tax, gas tax, to name the big ones.

Seriously thought about moving, but I wish I could take the weather and beaches with me.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
That, and the geography is gorgeous. I can't live there again though. Three years was more than enough. Always wanted to fly there though, and may still do that someday.