• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Exhaust within subcowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MolsonB

I'm just in the process of building a teardrop subcowl for under the plane. My oil & coolant rad outlets will be dumped into the subcowl, so they can be streamlined and spit out the back. Along with it, the exhaust will flow through there.

My idea is to add louvers when the exhaust pipe enters the subcowl, so it pulls the air in the subcowl (oil & coolant, plus any air that leaks into the main engine cowl) and thrusts the exhaust. I found a company that just sells the perforated louvers without a muffler shell around it. Of course the subcowl and bottom of plane will be protected with Fiberfrax and SS plates.

Can the exhaust pipe (2.5") end inside the subcowl, or should I extend a pipe (3") outside the airplane for a few feet ?
subcowl.jpg

Attachments

• 20181206_204353.jpg
    20181206_204353.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 78
  • panelresonators.jpg
    panelresonators.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 74
Back