Eviation Alice

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Martin W

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I was thinking that I was missing something. It is surprising that aviation companies are willing to pay to order a few airplanes before seeing a working prototype.

Oriol

Not unusual to pre-order. Mostly just a signature on paper.

But read the fine print .... the aircraft must perform as advertised .

And they seldom do .... the earlier purchasers can easily walk away

Dan Thomas

Aircraft gross weight is 16,500 pounds

8.200 pounds of it is battery

But can only carry a 9 passenger payload of 2,400 pounds.
That doesn't quite add up, does it? What happened to the remaining 5900 pounds of useful load?

A Beech 1900 grosses a bit over 17.000 pounds and can carry 19 passengers. Range is around 1300 nm, but not likely with a full pax load. Still, the Alice seems a step backward.

Island_flyer

I don't know all the regs, but do you really need two pilots to fly just nine passengers?
No. A King Air 350 can be flown by a single pilot if he/she has a single pilot type rating for the aircraft. The 350 can hold 11 pax in the main cabin but usually has seats for only 8 or 9.

Martin W

(To me) this whole electric airplane craze is predicated upon the claims of reducing carbon footprints and saving the planet .... and nothing to do with aviation per say.

And there are enough unrealistic people who believe it ... and they will invest ... buy .... and fly.

Even the eviation-alice literature says the goal is to reduce carbon footprints.

Never once do they mention all the smokestacks burning coal and gas that are required to produce the electricity to recharge the batteries.

When you mention that , they become furious ... it is like you are a threat to their religion or something.

Those folks cannot even save themselves but claim they can save the planet.
Yeah Right !!!!

Martin W

Passenger airlines , small and large , prefer to carry just enough fuel to destination plus a safety reserve .... the aircraft becomes lighter as it flies , and much less load on gear when landing .... as a matter of fact large airliners have to dump fuel in an emergency landing because the landing gear would be over stressed.

Electrics , on the other hand , start with a heavy battery , and land with a heavy battery that is nearly dead and is useless weight.

Landing gear would have to be substantially stronger on electrics .... which of course makes them even heavier.

Martin W

That doesn't quite add up, does it? What happened to the remaining 5900 pounds of useful load?

A Beech 1900 grosses a bit over 17.000 pounds and can carry 19 passengers. Range is around 1300 nm, but not likely with a full pax load. Still, the Alice seems a step backward.

The 5900 pounds is the weight of the airplane itself , (minus the batteries and passengers.)

I should have written it better.

N804RV

Supporting Member
(To me) this whole electric airplane craze is predicated upon the claims of reducing carbon footprints and saving the planet .... and nothing to do with aviation per say.

And there are enough unrealistic people who believe it ... and they will invest ... buy .... and fly.

Even the eviation-alice literature says the goal is to reduce carbon footprints.

Never once do they mention all the smokestacks burning coal and gas that are required to produce the electricity to recharge the batteries.

When you mention that , they become furious ... it is like you are a threat to their religion or something.

Those folks cannot even save themselves but claim they can save the planet.
Yeah Right !!!!

Looks to me like some people are thinking about more than "saving the planet".

"The preliminary numbers look like the direct operating costs are going to be about 40% of what we're currently spending," -Dan Wolf (founder and CEO of Cape Air)

bmcj

Supporting Member
Looks to me like some people are thinking about more than "saving the planet".

"The preliminary numbers look like the direct operating costs are going to be about 40% of what we're currently spending," -Dan Wolf (founder and CEO of Cape Air)

That way, the execs can take their larger windfalls and buy a new Gulfstream and have a big gasoline powered SUV waiting at each destination point. 😂

Martin W

Operating cost depends on how often the batteries need to be replaced. The lightest batteries may not last as long.
Exactly right .... and the article says the 8,200 pound batteries have to be changed every 2 years

Company owner (who claims 40% savings) said he hopes to access the proposed wind farm off Martha's Vineyard .... many folks consider windmills "free power" from the wind ...... but first of all I doubt Martha's citizens want to have all that clutter in front of them .... furthermore those windmills cost millions of dollars and only have a 20 year life span ... those costs need to be worked into the "low cost" equation.

Owner also has a very large solar system on his roof for 10 years now .... suggests he could charge batteries by adding some more panels .... but if we read carefully the existing (large) solar system only produces enough power to run the office. Fast charging of batteries take a huge amount more power than running office lights and computers.

I am not anti-electric ... just logical.
I also have a good nose for propaganda. I can smell it a mile away.

Martin W

That way, the execs can take their larger windfalls and buy a new Gulfstream and have a big gasoline powered SUV waiting at each destination point. 😂

You are exactly right.

I witnessed that first hand (winter 1990's) when Al Gore Came to a university in Regina Canada to promote his global warming agenda and movie.

--- his fee was $100,000 up front plus expenses
--- Demanded 5-star hotel suites for him and his entourage
--- demanded 5 stretch limousines to shuttle them around
--- flew in on a fuel-hungry corporate jet
--- jet kept warm all day using Auxiliary power units
--- limousines kept idling all day long to keep them warm for him and his crew.

During his speech he looked out at the crowd and told us we must stop using so much fossil fuel.

I drove 6 hours to get there in a VW turbo diesel that got a solid 60 mpg.
Used less fuel than one idling limousine.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
I am not anti-electric ... just logical.
Small modular nuclear is the most logical power source and lowest CO2. Super safe, cant melt down, can be underground. And they can be located in the city and the excess heat can be piped to the buildings for space heat. Almost 100% efficient in that case.