Eric Clutton hospitalized

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

robertl

I am sure Eric is in the, VCR video that I have about the TEAM MiniMax line of aircraft back when Wayne Ison had it. I got this video way back in the 80's. Eric says that airplanes definitely have a soul and the perfect situation would be to marry a rich widow that liked airplanes. lol
Bob

Rhino

My aunt who is 96 would possibly like to date him.
I'd be happy with just having the ability to date when I'm 96. Who I'd date wouldn't be a great concern, unless my wife is still alive of course. Then it would be of paramount concern. She'd be 100, so hopefully she wouldn't be able to hurt me too bad.

Last edited:

Sraight'nlevel

96 years is a lot of age...as is 94 years. Eye sight starts to deteriorate...and memory too.

My aunt renovated an old house before going to elderly home...his husband and both kids died after the war ( some kinda lung infection ).

She said it is just waiting for the Grim Reaper being there.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

Sadly, I have to report that Eric Clutton, designer of the Flying Runabout Experimental Design (FRED) homebuilt plane, passed away last night at the age of 93.

Here he is less than a year ago at home in Tullahoma, Tennessee holding a scale model Short Sterling in a photo by Jonathan Holt. Behind him you can see a framed original drawing of the prototype FRED by artist Dave Black of Albuquerque, New Mexico that Dave and I presented to Eric on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of FRED's first flight.

Blue skies, Eric!

eric and lancaster.jpg

PS--Thanks to the folks who pointed out that's a Sterling, not a Lancaster.

Last edited:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sadly, I have to report that Eric Clutton, designer of the Flying Runabout Experimental Design (FRED) homebuilt plane, passed away last night at the age of 93.

Here he is less than a year ago in a photo by Jonathan Holt at home in Tullahoma, Tennessee holding an RC model Avro Lancaster. Behind him you can see a framed original drawing of the original FRED by artist Dave Black of Albuquerque, New Mexico that Dave and I presented to Eric on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of FRED's first flight.

Blue skies, Eric!

View attachment 121820
I'm very sorry to hear this, Matthew. My deep condolences to Mr. Clutton's family, customers, many fans, and to you. I know he's been an inspiration to you for many years.

PMD

Sad to hear that such an iconic aviator is no longer with us. RIP Mr. Clutton. Our world is a better place for his time with us.

cluttonfred

He had a hand in the design of the TEAM Mini Max.

There are two posts with video clips showing Eric back in the MiniMAX days on my site. While the preview looks like a generic link, it actually takes you to a search page with just those two posts.