Eric Clutton’s airplane: FRED

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by Joe Kidd, Feb 4, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

With the recent discussion of wooden airplane plans another type has again come to light, Eric Clutton’s single seat parasol type called FRED. Many of us have read about it and the very interesting former R.A.F. Officer Mr. Clutton. The Yahoo site that had highlighted his plane and linked to a plans purchase site was disabled a few months back making contact a bit difficult. However a new web site is now opened with information and a link. I’d intended to purchase plans and the Propeller book from Mr. Clutton last year but failed to do so, and then last his e-mail. He’ll be receiving an order from me by the beginning of next week; I hope I can meet him some day. Here’s the link…

http://www.cluttonfred.info/site/Home.html

2. Feb 13, 2010 #2

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Thanks very much for the plug. I am trying to add to the site regularly (a new blog post at least once a week) and I am always looking for FRED materials or other info of interest to FRED fans. Photos, stories, tips and more are always welcome, and I am particularly looking for information on completed FREDs and FRED projects outside the UK.

Cheers,

Matthew
    www.cluttonfred.info

3. Feb 28, 2010 #3

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

A bit of a follow up here, I meet with Eric Clutton today and got a really good look at his airplane FRED. Its small, sturdy and very effecient, 43 years old and still flying, with an almost 82 years young designer/builder pilot. The money spent for Mr. Clutton's two books and a set of FRED plans is one of the best deals you will find, $70.00. That's right $50.00 for the plans the rest for a book on building your own prop, the other about FRED.

4. Feb 28, 2010 #4

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Joe, did you buy chance buy the FRED plans? If so, what is your opinion of the plans and airplane? Easy to build?

I've had Eric Cluttons prop carving book for 25 yrs. Mr. Clutton use to do a prop carving workshop at OSH. I was so inspired I went home and carved my own non-airworthy propeller for decoration.

5. Feb 28, 2010 #5

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Turd, I did indeed purchase a set of Plans for FRED. They are well drawn with good detail,packaged much as the VP-1 plans are in a tablet form. This looks to be a very simple build process without a lot confusion. The fuselage can be widened by 2" for extra space, white pine can be used for rib's and internal structure, spruce for spars.

6. Mar 4, 2010 #6

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

7. Mar 4, 2010 #7

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

His name may indeed be Ferguson, but "Turd Ferguson" is a character name from long, long ago.

8. Mar 6, 2010 #8

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Matthew, thanks for the link. I'll join and follow the chat for a while. I found FRED many years ago while looking for a VW powered airplane that had good low end performance for backyard type airports.
    Mr Clutton's continued evolution of his personal airplane confirms the age old observation: Most of the high drag airplanes designed for direct drive VW engines end up with a Cont. A-65 if the owner keeps them long enough. The need for a long slow(er) turning propeller is clearly evident. Due to it's success, the VP-1 tops the list for VW powered airplanes that I can fly from my backyard runway. I'd prefer a parasol type airplane like a FRED, Pixie or Stewart Headwind but only the Headwind has a chance of success with a VW powerplant.

9. Oct 28, 2011 #9

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

New reply to an old post, but much as I like the VP-1, it does have a reputation for poor short field performance and for biting those that push the edge of the slow flight envelope. A quick search of the NTSB accident statistics will confirm that engine failure and loss of control in slow flight are the major accident types for VPs. The same low-aspect ratio, high-lift and high-drag wing that keeps FRED down in the 70 mph cruise range also makes for much more docile low-speed handling for getting in and out of short fields. Just my two cents, keeping in mind 1) that I am biased as I run the Clutton FRED fan site and 2) I have not personally flown either a VP-1 or a FRED, so this is all second-hand info. Cheers, Matthew www.cluttonfred.info

10. Oct 28, 2011 #10

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice site, Matthew!

11. Dec 21, 2011 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

12. Dec 21, 2011 #12

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I have Dan Grunloh to thank for the plug.