• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Equivalent Tubes in Steel, Aluminum, Graphite Fiber, and Fiberglass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, the last thread on this topic must gotten rude fast to be locked after 3 responses... Let's keep it civil guys.

Is there any interest in setting a standard steel tube and then showing other tubes with equivalent resistance to some specified loading modes? A weight comparison could be useful to some folks...

Tell you what - IFF there is enough interest (my judgement as I will be doing the work), I will do one standard round thinwall steel tube at two lengths. I will tell you what load it will carry with appropriate FOS. I will follow with the lightest standard aluminum tube that will carry the same loads. When I have some time, I will design the lightest glass and graphite composite tubes using COTS braided tubes over mandrels to stand the same loading, and post the results.

Any interest? What size steel tube? What type of loadings do you want to see? I have data on 4130, standard aluminum tubes, E-Glass, and one Graphite fiber. If there is interest in other fibers, you have to supply all elasticities and strengths before I will run it.

Billski

Back