Quantcast

Eppler Airfoils

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I have looked on this this site for some "real world" experience with some of Eppler's airfoil from his book and have not found any. Are there any folks out there using them?
The reason I am asking is that Eppler has both tail less and prop air foils. I am curious about both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I've done a lot of XFoil investigation with a slightly-increased-camber variant of the Eppler 361 helicopter airfoil. That's not "real world," but it's reasonable results and information. I started exploring this as a low-Cm laminar 'foil for a small motorglider with a low-Reynold's Number requirement, and it's very nice for that.

What is it you're trying to determine? Are his airfoils any good? Quite a few have been used on sailplanes (Eppler 662, for example), with quite good success.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
In addition to sailplanes, I think some of the experimental canard aircraft have used Eppler airfoils. I also remember reading an article about someone who used Eppler's prop airfoils for a custom propeller, and it turned out well.

I have experimented with Eppler airfoils in Xfoil, as well. They tend to require a little bit of cleanup as the point distribution isn't that great. Once that's out of the way, they seem to work as advertised.

Other people have used Eppler's airfoil code for the development of their own successful airfoils, as well. For example, at least some of the NASA NLF sections....

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I was interested in whether his airfoil were close to their promises or if they were just a design exercise. I was thinking about using them on a real aircraft.