Quantcast

Epoxy Wipe composite finishing technique!!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cblink.007

I can assume these pages have been listed here, but if not, here are some pages describing the "epoxy wipe" technique:

And the video to supplement the above link...

I am using the same technique on my project...had an excellent result on a test piece!!!

Exian

These links have been posted on HBA more than once, but it is never wrong to insist a little.

Yes, everything writen in this article is true and must be followed carefully.
Finishing a composite plane is easy and fast.
Do not blame the composite tech for your own lack of skill or research on the subject!

I am using the same technique on my project... had an excellent result on full tailplane and fuselage!!!
(see post 2 and 3 here : Exian's composite planes)

Yellowhammer

I am using this technique on my composite build. I have been wiping epoxy a little at a tme to save some time later on. I feel that is the best way to fill the pin holes and give a super smooth and glass like appearance for painting.

I just did the right side of my fuselage yesterday. I apply it, scuff it with 80 grit, up to 120 grit, then use 320 grit followed by wet sanding with 800 grit. Looks sexy as hell.

cblink.007

I am using this technique on my composite build. I have been wiping epoxy a little at a tme to save some time later on. I feel that is the best way to fill the pin holes and give a super smooth and glass like appearance for painting.

I just did the right side of my fuselage yesterday. I apply it, scuff it with 80 grit, up to 120 grit, then use 320 grit followed by wet sanding with 800 grit. Looks sexy as hell.
Good to hear! How many coats of epoxy?