• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek1945

Ordered from EBay $39.95:
12 boxes of SUREWOOD 2-PART SPRING BOLT EPOXY ADHESIVE INDUSTRIAL NEW FREE SHIP

Each box contains 12 oz of A + B clear epoxy in two metal cans, I prefer metal over poly jugs. So 24 x 12= 288 oz or 2.25 gal which is 18 lbs, I hope this is enough since epoxy weight does change we cured.

I'll make several test coupons to verify the epoxy is stronger than the wood. If it fails I'll use on my period ship models. Elmer's Carpenter Glue Ultimate will be tested also for bonding blue/pink foam.

The epoxy sets in 6 hours at 72F and 1.5 at 100F full strength in 24 hours. To improve penetration of wood joints I'll be pre-heating the wood pieces with an electric heat gun to lower the epoxy viscosity as it cool it will be drawn farther into the wood.

I wonder has anyone used Perlite as a filler with epoxy? It is used a filler in plaster castings to both lightening and strengthening. A 2 cu. ft. bag is <$20. it might work like cotton flox.

I plan on copying the Forum idea of using pumps and punching the lids to fit the intake tube and constructing a stool to support the screw-on lid part of the pumps. When cans are empty I'll just swap lids with two new cans. A thin film of grease/wax in cans seal make the lids air tight plus keep contents from sticking. Ed

Back