• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Epoxy for vacuum bagging- thin infusion epoxy okay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I'm looking for an appropriate epoxy for the small samples that I'll use for impact testing. Thin infusion epoxy (600 cps, sometimes less) looks like it would work well: easy wet-out, will leave the layup and get into the bleeder reliably, etc. Can an epoxy be too thin for this purpose? Can it be so thin that not enough stays in the layup to transfer the loads between reinforcment fibers?I'd like to try out bagging against a mylar sheet for a smooth top surface (see what that costs in weight), but perhaps a very thin epoxy won't even fill the weave in a fully compressed layup.
Thoughts and tips welcome.

Back