Enstrom closes doors

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

EzyBuildWing

Robinson Helicopter has sold over 13,000 helicopters world-wide(6,000 R-44's).
Robinson Helicopter is a private company, and founder Frank is worth around $250m.
Maybe Frank could offer R-44's and R-66's fitted with Enstrom rotor-heads-and-blades for pilots who want high-inertia rotor-systems?
Maybe an R-44 would be safer/more comfortable to fly in if fitted with Enstrom lifting gear.

TFF

Let’s not mix and match because they do their things better apart. Frank builds the least expensive helicopter that 1980 would make. Enstrom makes a 1965 helicopter. C300 is a 1950s helicopter.

What is funny is all the upstarts just miss the marks when the target is so easy. The Cabri is too small for a fat azz like me. The Enstrom is the perfect size for regular people. If the Cabri was Enstrom or R-44 size; itwould have wiped both competitors off the map. The one competitor with the ballistic shute, there is another from Italy, I believe. All these things are made for 165 lb teenagers. The people who have the money for their own helicopters are not skinny kids in a flight school.

If Enstrom didn’t cause the bankruptcy with the TH180, they would have had the non Robinson training market wrapped up. it scared Robinson enough to put out the 2 seat R44 just in case. Enstrom had flight schools begging. Enstrom couldn’t because they blew the money on it. For what was supposed to be a 2 million project, they spent more than what they just sold for. That’s what killed Enstrom, internal coverup.

Enstrom blew their wave. They had the industry’s coup of selling the a Japanese military its new training helicopters and The TH-180 for flight schools. It never was going to run with Robinson, but they did shut out Bell for Japan and there were at least 100 TH-180s that would have been built. Hopefully the new people know what to do and get the confidence back.

EzyBuildWing

Anyone heard of MidTex?

MidTex expects to operate through a new entity, to be named Enstrom Aerospace Industries. The new business will provide parts and support to existing owners, as well as new helicopters. In addition, the new company plans to expand into providing engineering services and component manufacturing for other OEM’s. Upon closing, MidTex will acquire all of the former Enstrom parts, owned aircraft, tooling, materials, drawings, intellectual property, factory buildings and airport lease.

“This was just too good of an opportunity to pass up,” said Michael Dixon, Aviation Manager for MidTex. “Not only will we get a turn-key helicopter manufacturer with a great brand and an established customer base, we will also get an excellent springboard to launch an aerostructures and component manufacturing business. Most people don’t realize that Enstrom was vertically integrated, building nearly 90% of the helicopters under one roof. They had the facilities to build almost anything.” Dixon is also excited about the company’s engineering capabilities. “Enstrom had a great relationship with the FAA, and a proven track record of getting certifications quickly and efficiently. Likewise, we look forward to working with the FAA to expand to other aerospace projects, including eVTOL’s, fixed-wing, military equipment, and other advanced air mobility products,” said Dixon.

TFF

Michael Dixon was a past employee of Enstrom so he knows a bunch about the company.

Turd Ferguson

ENSTROM HAS A NEW BUYER:

Appears the deal with MidTex Aviation collapsed and Indiana based Surack Enterprises was there to grab the rebound.
The name stuck out then it hit me. Chuck Surack owns the company Sweetwater Sound, a retailer that sells musical instruments and audio equipment, mostly online. They use to put out a print catalog but I think they have switched to mostly an online company. I occasionally buy guitar strings from them and they call every 3 months or so to see if I'm satisfied with the products and do I need anything else. Always polite, cordial and not pushy.
If he runs the helicopter company by the same standards, I can't see Enstrom customer satisfaction going anywhere except up (no pun intended).

TFF

He owns a couple of Enstroms ; personal and through a flight school/FBO he owns. He also owns some A-Stars for film work. Has a nice car collection. Always amazed that Dean Kamen did not buy it. He flys Enstroms and it would be pocket change.