Engines to replace the dominance of Rotax

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

henryk

=G25B with micro V gear and wooden 1.3 m propeller works good (circa 2m/s climbe), wich thrust is <50 kG, but is noisy...

=with CR gear,circa 3:-1+1 , (2.5 kg ,see picture),1.3 +1.25 m propellers it generate 80 kG !

4-cycle seems moore comfortable,
f.e. EOS 240 cc 27 HP/ 15 kg

brehmel62

I am obliged at this point to mention Dana's most excellent idea. A 103 scale Spruce Goose with eight chainsaw engines.
I can't quite tell what scale you are referring to.
At 15.9% scale with 12 HP engines, we would have about the same power and weight as a Cessna150 but with longer wings, 60% of the wing loading, and a cruise of only 70 mph.

A DLE-120 only weighs about 1/3rd of the scale engine weight. So, you would save about 10 lbs per engine. That would decrease your empty weight to 925 lbs and increase your payload to about 603 lbs. The scale prop diameter is 33", but this high revving engine won't handle bigger than 28". With eight engines that should be equivalent to a 79" prop. And, that would actually be a bit more thrust than a Cessna 150 gets with its 69" propeller. The engines are $750 apiece so you would have $6,000 on your engines. Hand propping eight 2-stroke engines would be interesting.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Attacking his personal life doesn’t disprove his 12+ years of success.

Blind hostility to change does not belong in an experimental forum.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I'd like to see a small inline aircraft engine go back into production, old-school low RPM direct drive, compression to suit modern fuel, electronic ignition, maybe single-point EFI, say two models a 60 hp four-cylinder one for single-seaters and a 100 hp six-cylinder one for two-seaters. I love the style (and integral oil tank) of the 40-50 hp Zündapp 9-092 but would prefer something a little bigger. ;-)

1590696139980.png
1590696157597.png

Last edited:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
That’s a good idea.

Bet you could create a nice inline 6 using existing parts. But you’d have to create an interesting airflow arrangement that supplied fresh cooling air from the sides.

Geraldc

I would like to see an inverted flat head.
The Donovan alloy block model A Ford would have been perfect but last time I enquired it was not in production.
It was built for flathead racing.

poormansairforce

The Donovan alloy block model A Ford would have been perfect but last time I enquired it was not in production.
It was built for flathead racing.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Could probably make something decent with VW cylinders and an existing crank.

I would opt for a straight 6 due to I4 requiring a balancing shaft. I6 has much better power to weight and balancing.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Could probably make something decent with VW cylinders and an existing crank.

I would opt for a straight 6 due to I4 requiring a balancing shaft. I6 has much better power to weight and balancing.
I wonder how hot the back cyl head of an air cooled inline 6 would get. Mmmm, toasty!