Engines to replace the dominance of Rotax

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

I am obliged at this point to mention Dana's most excellent idea. A 103 scale Spruce Goose with eight chainsaw engines.
Someone, please, build it!

BJC

HBA Supporter
Some years ago, at Sun n Fun, I saw a 2 cylinder Generac engine on a light weight airplane. Is anyone using that engine today? Are the reliable? Horsepower?

BJC

Bill-Higdon

ScottRosenboom

Hey Guys new to the forum thing but need some help . I have a rebuilt c-90 ground power engine . the only dilemma is putting an updraft carb on this thing. the intakes come out of the tops of the cylinders for a down draft carb setup. I can do something similar to a corvair set up but sure would like to see one done and working before I go chopping up and modifying the currant intake.

Armilite

Banned
Hey Guys new to the forum thing but need some help . I have a rebuilt c-90 ground power engine . the only dilemma is putting an updraft carb on this thing. the intakes come out of the tops of the cylinders for a down draft carb setup. I can do something similar to a corvair set up but sure would like to see one done and working before I go chopping up and modifying the currant intake.
=========================================

Why not just go with an EFI Setup, better Starting, Smoother Running, No Carb Icing, an better GPH!

Armilite

Banned
There appear's to be many different Options using these Cheap Honda/Briggs/Clones, Single Cylinder(GX390 389cc+) & these 627+cc, V Twins, from Honda, Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, etc., Engines to replace all the Rotax's, 277(26hp) to 618UL(73.4hp), maybe even the 912(80hp) if you want a 4 Stroke. There are more Aftermarket HD Parts for the Honda's & Briggs.

ACE RE-DRIVES for Honda's and Briggs, etc.
https://www.aceaviation.co.uk/redrives

Attachments

Last edited:

GTX_Engines

It's been TWELVE YEARS since we started doing Yamahas on gyroplanes in 2007! The arguments made against trying them may have been valid twelve years ago but not in 2019.

By now there are well over a hundred Yamaha 3 and 4 cylinder 4-stroke water-cooled engines flying with ZERO failures over 12 years. I myself have several hundreds of hours on a single example, while there are many others who are approaching a thousand.

Steve Henry of Wild West Aircraft flew from Idaho for the fourth straight year in a row in a Yamaha-powered Highlander to Airventure and won GRAND CHAMPION at Oshkosh this year flying and competing in the STOL competitions - and winning every one of them, beating even the Draco turbine Wilga. His Yamaha Apex 4-cyl included my Mohawk Aero gearbox adapter conversion kit. Steve fabricates and sells the Highlander and the Yamaha HIghlander conversion kit parts including exhaust, intake and mounting frames for the Yamaha Genesis 4-cylinder (YG4) which comes from either the RX1 or Apex snowmobiles. I provide the gearbox, shaft coupling and adapters, as well as other parts such as cooling system components and wire harnesses.

The smallest stock YG3 puts out 120 HP at 160 lbs all-up weight, while the most recent 165HP YG4 EXUP builds I am currently working on for 2 customers (which also provides 30% more HP throughout the midrange, effectively making these engines altitude-compensating over other similar Apex's w/o EXUP valves,) weigh about the same as a Rotax 914 or 915 which cannot put out anywhere near this HP, even at the very short intervals allowed before turning into a flying grenade.

There is no factory-stock engine, including a Rotax, in the same weight category 160-175 lbs all-up that puts out 120-165 HP reliably and constantly, let alone just punching it momentarily for a few minutes like a 914 or 915 allows. I have had a steady stream of customers coming to me over the past five years who left Rotax behind because 1) it broke, 2) the carbs are junk 3) no power and/or 4) it costs five to ten times as much as a Yamaha YG3 or YG4.

We now have tens of thousands of fleet flight hours. Jump in, the water's fine.

My newest project for a customer in Nebraska is a Yamaha Sidewinder 200HP turbo-charged YG3, stock out of the box. Those engines are available for 1/3 the price of a Rotax 914 that puts out 115 HP for five minutes max and weighs about the same.

My last completed project shipping out this week is on the other end of the spectrum: a 2-cylinder, Yamaha Phazer 4-stroke, water-cooled, 80HP, EFI engine weighing 88 pounds, ~130 lbs with everything added on.

Feel free to contact me by email to Info@MohawkAeroCraft.com and I will send you a ZIP file with all the info you need to get properly informed and started saving thousands upon thousands of dollars, and getting REAL performance for a change.

Last edited:

erkki67

GTX Engines, I don’t have a name, so I’ll call you G.

The power range I’m interested at is 80-100hp, an engine which turns a prop between 1700 and 2300rpm.

Your Phazer buildup seams to fit my far future needs quiet well.

For my coming project, do you have something at around 40hp-50hp in your portfolio?

Rgd Erkki

BJC

HBA Supporter
... About me: I made my first million by 1989 completing the world's first fiber optic metro network, 140 miles which my brother and I built in WDC serving the Pentagon, State Dept, Executive Offices of the US President, Secret Service, US Justice Dept., NASA, FAA in Herndon VA, etc. I had the home and 5 acres in Great Falls, the yacht in Annapolis with a condo slip where I spent weekends, the GT1 Porsche turbo race circuit winner which I built myself in my 5-car garage, trophy model wife, kids, etc. But now I kick back and am quite satisfied making a comfortable living doing the volume of business I have been enjoying since 2012 when I finished the world's first successful Yamaha 4-cylinder, 145 HP RX1 aircraft and got it certificated the following Spring.
Well aren’t you special ...

BJC

Cy V

Have you thought about offering complete firewall forward kits for your Yamaha engine conversions? I'd say you would have all the business you could handle (and then some) if you did.

Group Builder