• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

engines for dummies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel77

I feel fairly comfortable and capable with all of the aspects of building the physical plane, save the firewall forward. I have a good basis of mechanical skills and do readily work on my own vehicles, but I have always stopped short of pulling an engine and breaking it down. I have the basic understanding, but I'm not comfortable with the process to the point of yet trusting my life to my handi work. What resources are there available for a better understanding of the engines in general? I've read for instance that an o-200 is still just 1949 technology. I'm sure I could take one apart and put it back together, but how am I supposed to know that the rings on cylinder 3 are no longer good, for instance. Do most of you really do ALL of your own maintenance, or is it common to still have an A&P look her over from time to time? Thanks in advance.

Back