• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine running rough

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magisterol

Hello guys. I have a problem with my engine and so far all the AME couldn’t find the culprit. For a few month the engine started to run rough when I bring the power back below 2500 rpm. It goes away if I lean it as long as I stay above 2000 rpm and it is a bit better if I bring it all the way to idle. It is worst if the carb heat is on and it doesn’t make a difference on L or R mag. It drops within the range on single mag ops but no difference between L and R. The engine is an O-320 E2A with a 8.5:1 pistons, MA-4SPA, 10-3678-32 carb with single piece venturi, blue float with 47-773 jet. Now for whatever reason, it started to go rough even on the ground when I do mag check at 1700-1800 rpm. So I fave to lean all the time even on takeoff. The exhaust stacks started to get black soothe on them when I run my finger inside. The consensus is that is running rich. I tried flying without the air filter and it does the same. Either too much fuel or not enough air. Thing is, it was running fine before. Other than borr someone else’s car and try it, would be to buy another carb, but nobody is sure if it is the carb or something else, because on the ground when it runs rough, it is not blowing black smoke. Any ideas? Thank you

Back