• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

engine reliability in the 235-260HP range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

Hi everyone,

I'm (hopefully) going to be starting a Bearhawk sometime in the next year or so. I'm planning on putting it on amphibious floats eventually, so I'd like to put a bigger engine on it (in all honesty, the IO-390 seems like the "ideal" but the cost is so crazy compared to a used, near TBO 470 or 540.)

So, my question revolves around the Lycoming I/O-540 and the Continental I/O-470. Max engine weight on the Bearhawk is 400lbs, so that rules out the angle valve I/O-540s which make 300HP, and also anything turbocharged, etc.

What are the comparative reliability rates between the Lycos and the Contis? If I look on a used site like trade-a-plane or barnstormers, you can get a near TBO O-470 for like $3K, with accessories. You can get nowhere near that for a Lyco. Why? Do the Conti's get to heck sooner, do they throw rods, do they...????

Just wondering...I know that the Conti's are a little worse the HP:weight ratio area, are there any things that can be done to lighten them some?

EDIT: any other engines out there that might work too?

Back