• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine Power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

How does someone determine the amount of power the engine is producing? Is there an accurate calculator available online where you can plug and chug out the magic number?

Take an IO-540 and there is the angle valve version and the parallel valve version of the engine so...if...all of the internal parts (cam, pistons, fuel injection) were the same the two engines would produce different power based on the efficiency of the engine cylinder heads.

If you try to use the fuel flow to determine HP then it would depend on if the engine is running ROP/ Peak/ LOP.

The RPM the engine is turning on takeoff will also determine how much HP the engine is producing with higher RPM up to a point would produce more power because more bangs per minute.

Now in my case it gets a bit more complicated because the engine has an automotive turbocharger and 7.3:1 compression pistons so the compression ratio can be changed from a static 7.3:1 when the MAP is 29.92 IN HG or if the boost is pumped up to 45 IN HG the engine could have a compression ratio of 12.5:1 and the engine is an angle valve cylinder head.

I have tried to find a similar engine model and it appears that the TIO-540-AE2A is similar however I do not really want it to produce 350 HP so 320 HP is a bit more reasonable so I am trying to figure out what my power parameters should be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

THANKS

Back