Engine mount ideas?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I would definitely go with all of the OEM mounting points that BMW designed into the engine. They have probably done a lot more testing vibration analysis, etc. than you ever would.

I would also suggest the stiffer CJ urethane bushings instead of the soft conical rubber. Make your engine mount in such a way as to be able to replace or change the rubber bushings, so you can try softer or stiffer bushings at any time later.

Also, find a way to tie into ALL of the mounting lugs on the Avid fuselage. They are there for a reason.

Armilite

What Victor said, plus those Harder Bushing will soften a little from the Engine Heat. The best thing you can do is Balance the Engine & Prop to take out as much Vibration as you can. EFI make's an Engine run Smoother also and eliminates Carb Icing.

Mitchell

Here's a video where the briefly talk about the engine mounts on the new Mooney's. it's only about 1 minutes worth from 1:30-2:30 in the video but it shows how soft their engine mounts are and why it's good for them.

[video=youtube_share;KvyUK10y0Cc]https://youtu.be/KvyUK10y0Cc[/video]

That would make me want to try the softer mounts using as many mounting points as reasonable.

Bill-Higdon

Hey everyone
i am out of ideas for fabbing up the mount for a bmw 1150 engine in my avid flyer.

to make things easier I put my questions in video. Link attached.

Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/Dhw5VrfRDw8
Hugh Lorimer is member & has posted on HBA, he's designed at least 1 plane that used a BMW engine, you might reach out to him. Also Air Trikes in Canada has some pictures of converted BMW's on their web site