Engine for Stewart Headwind?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I just want to see the fight.
No you guys got it all wrong... I was just smarmiliciously pointing out that the airplane would look a whole lot better with appropriately proportioned wheels and tires on it. Ain't no major personal or theoretical disagreement going on here....

TFF

Just some Cub tires would make it look like Alaskan Bush Wheels. Personally some Bucker Spats would up the cool factor.

Headwind Don

Kyle, I worked with Don back in the 90s helping clean up his drawings to what you get today. Don would probably recommend the use of a VW with the Maximizer. He has stopped advertising now but when he did he always used a picture of the Geide Headwind which had a Maximizer as he felt it best represented the Headwind.

Don is a class act guy. I managed to pull some strings and got him a tour at LM when the F22 line was running. He later sent me copies of the Headwind, Maximizer and his Foo Fighter.

So are you really building a Headwind??
I still have all of my prints saved in my computer. The reason I don't advertise the prints anymore is that my plotter died and I can't print them out full size anymore.

L&S

Don

challenger_II

750# GW would wad-up bicycle wheels the first time you side-loaded them. Had a Starflight TX-1000 once: the bicycle wheels got replaced quickly!

As for the MC wheels, she does well as she is. If I had a tad more axle, I would hugely consider installing 6" Azusas, and 15-600x6 Bellanca nose gear tires.

Heavy duty spoked bicycle wheels maybe 12-16” would work and look period correct, actually better for any kind of grass field operation.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Headwind Don, thank you for taking time to post here! Congratulations and thanks for good designs that have stood the test of time.

One of our participants here, "Addicted2Climbing", is in a position to be of great assistance if you should ever want to make Headwind kits, or license someone to make kits for the Headwind. He is already moving forward with two of Ed Fisher's designs, the Skylite and the Li'l Bitts. I believe he very much wants to have a side business making kits and plans available for homebuilders. So if you are interested in creating a more active renaissance or resurgence for the Headwind into the future, he's your man.

David L. Downey

1200 cam ? Stock cams on the 1200 cc, 40hp,-- 1300 cc, 50Hp--- 1600cc, 60 HP are all the same. Different cam gear on the same came after 1971, I believe. Stock cam is hard to beat for low RPM torque.
Going from a 60" dia to a 62" dia x 26" pitch is a bit much for the 1835cc engine. I wouldn't go more than the 24", maybe a 22" if you wasn't concerned much about the speed. Could try the 62" dia x 26" and if it was to much load on the engine , you would be able to reduce the dia a littl at a time to suit.
I have cruised my 1835 cc engine at 2500 rpm with a cruise speed of about 65 mph, but couldn't get the oil temp up over about 160 F . Doing that on a cross country flight trying to say back with 2 Piets with A-65's. Summer day.
Fuel burn would be about 2.5 gph. Just a guess.
Thank you!