Quantcast

Engine failure just after take off - video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Please stay out of Florida airspace, we have people who fly airplanes without radios, so you can't tell us where you are, and that certainly will put all airplanes in danger.

I had no idea that a mayday puts all other aircraft in danger. Thanks for that, I no longer will fly, just in case there is a mayday that would put me at risk.

Do you really think that the camera started a chain of events? How did the camera do that?

He did make a good landing, why not aknowledge it?

He had a near fatal crash? I guess I missed that too. Will have to view the video again.

BJC

PS. Don't take this as personal, it is not. I just felt that you needed to hear the truth.
TahoeTim
you remind me of a self righteous, condescending prick I once knew
it's ok to take that personal if you like
Spencer

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
from Tahoe Tim
>>>I'm not some hot shot pilot with thousands of hours

many here recognized that from reading your replies Tim.
ever notice how the old heads are most always humble and soft spoken(like Kevin N for instance...he's probably got more time setting the altimeter in the 747 than TT has stick time)and some of the guys with "a little" time get their head all blown up and are just looking for an opportunity to show how much they know by jumping on some obviously humble soul like the OP who has no ego goals in the discussion. Forgive me, but it's something of a disgusting stereotype seen too often in aviation. We got a very very few on this forum...thankfully.

I may have to take my medicine from the mods but that's ok, it'll be worth it.

Spencer

proppastie

Log Member
Loved the Sonex video no body got hurt ...wonderful entertainment. I would add that video is a testament to the the stability of that aircraft. ... Great Design, Great Build.

TahoeTim

He asked for comments and now I'm being called a prick. Wow.

Some of you twisted my words and that's OK. I stand by my statements. BTW - if you can't follow how jumping out of a running airplane without a parking brake to turn on a camera didn't start the chain of events then my effort is falling on deaf ears since it is so obvious by his own words that he forgot to switch tanks. Don't you think tackling a rolling plane that is taxing away out of control would cause the slightest distraction? What if he stumbled, fell to the ground, and met his prop head on, literally?

Since I am now a prick and a taco (even though I am Caucasian) I won't interfere with your little club anymore. I'll move on. One lees low time arrogant person to worry about Spencer.

mmatt

Tim, I don't think the issue is that you pointed out the mistakes I made, I think the issue is how you did it. I readily agreed with almost all of your points and yet you still berated me. I am here learning and sharing my experience so that others might not make the same mistakes I did. I'm happy to have other critique me as a pilot; it's how we learn to become better pilots.

It sounds to me as though you have a real hate on for cameras. That's fine, don't use one. And trust me when I say I won't be getting out of a running plane to turn mine on again. That was a mistake. But I will still continue to record my flights. I learn a great deal from each video when I review it at home after each flight. Only the interesting ones make it to YouTube though.

And if you re-read my original post you'll see that I posted:
Full disclosure: this was completely my fault. I am already aware of the mistakes I made and have learned from them. I am posting this that others may learn from my experience and not make the same mistake(s) I did. Please keep your comments respectful. Thank you.
Please note the bold.

However in your defense, I was not aware of all the mistakes I made. You quite helpfully pointed more out to me and I'm grateful for that. Thank you once again for helping me improve my airmanship.

Tiger Tim

Hey mmatt, nice video and a good save from an unfortunate mistake. You know what you did and I'm sure you'll be more careful in the future. Everyone else: now that you've seen it happen you have no excuse to repeat it yourself.

On the subject of exiting a running airplane, I've had to do it on a number of occasions myself. I try to stack the deck in my favour whenever I do as I don't want the plane to leave without me. Parking on grass is a good start because the wheels will have a little harder time rolling and the surface tends to be a bit lumpier. Chocking the wheel nearest the door is a good idea too if you have a chock handy. Because I'm paranoid about it, I'll also have the throttle at the very lowest idle I can get (then lock down the friction as tight as it will get) and sometimes I'll even turn the fuel valve off so that worst case scenario it quits when the float chamber is empty. Obviously don't forget to turn the fuel back on before flying, but those who forget don't tend to make it much further than the first fifty feet of takeoff roll before it quits, at least with something like an A65. Even if I had a parking brake, I would probably do at least one of the above.

wltrmtty

I had a Stinson with a Franklin engine designed to run on 87 octane. Running it on the 100LL risked fowling the plugs, so I always leaned it out while taxiing. One day, I forgot to push the mixture forward for takeoff, so about half way through my take-off run, the engine died. I pushed the mixture forward and hit the starter button while still rolling. The engine started and I continued my take off run. Knowledge guided by experience.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
from TahoeTim
>>>Since I am now a prick and a taco (even though I am Caucasian) I won't interfere with your little club anymore. I'll move on. One lees low time arrogant person to worry about Spencer.

Tim
I had made my point but since you replied to me directly I'll respond
This is largely a self policing forum; I hardly ever see the Mods come out publicly on an issue...the members here will most always call out somebody who's outa line. And you were...you treated the OP with blatant disrespect and that after he came out with his hat in his hand, he didn't deserve that. That's never tolerated; in my experience here.
I would never speak for others but I feel sure most here will be glad to see you stay and contribute, as long as you clean up your act. If that's asking too much and you choose to move on good luck and we'll manage to struggle thru somehow.
Best
Spencer

Tiger Tim

I should add, I've come **** close to leaving a letter outlining my concerns to a fellow pilot (taped to his propeller) who I feel operates unsafely but to date I have let it slide. Mmatt' actions come nowhere near letter-worthy IMHO. I'd fly with him.

Wanna trade rides someday?

BJC

HBA Supporter
I should add, I've come **** close to leaving a letter outlining my concerns to a fellow pilot (taped to his propeller) who I feel operates unsafely but to date I have let it slide. Mmatt' actions come nowhere near letter-worthy IMHO.
A more efective approach is to speak to the pilot face-to-face, in private, and tell him your concerns without embarassing him, and without assailing his intelligence, character or judgement.

BJC

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
A more efective approach is to speak to the pilot face-to-face, in private, and tell him your concerns without embarassing him, and without assailing his intelligence, character or judgement.

BJC
I like BJC's way.
I've done it. And started with "It's none of my business, but I'm gonna say it anyway..." with a slight smile. If they tell ya to kiss their ass, no matter, you did the responsible thing.
That is only if he's routinely endangering others. If he's hanging his own butt out well go ahead man it's your ass.
Well, that's my idea of it.

mmatt

[...]

Wanna trade rides someday?
Absolutely. :)

I don't get out towards Thunder Bay much these days but I'll get in touch with you if I ever do. Please fell free to do the same next time you're in New Brunswick.

Tiger Tim

BJC
In this particular case, people have brought their concerns up to his face and been told where to go. Otherwise I agree.

mmatt

It sounds like he doesn't want to change. If he's been told, it's on him now. Hopefully he doesn't end up hurting anyone.

What sort of unsafe practices is he using? (partly out of sheer curiosity, partly to make sure I'm not doing any of them)

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
In this particular case, people have brought their concerns up to his face and been told where to go. Otherwise I agree.
that makes it easy if it TRULY is a recurring safety of flight issue involving others...not that some just don't like how he flies.
If he's in violation and endangering others and won't respond to reasonable requests...turn him in.
I've never done that and wouldn't take that lightly atall; I'm generally totally against that. It goes against the grain, ya know. And sittin here reading it's hard to even mention that cause there are so many variables and so many anal people out there wanting to make us conform to their idea of things(I'm not thinking of you there Tiger Tim). but if the dude is asking for it well, give it to him.
I don't like talking to the Fed about anything...low profile; live and let live; mind our own business etc etc **as long as others will let us**

(some of the safety of flight arguments are just BS IMO but most don't want to argue with SOF cause it's not PC, type thing)

edit. addition

mmatt

The other consideration to make is; is he actually breaking any laws? or is he just generally behaving in an unsafe manner? It's very easy to be unsafe while still following all the rules, and conversely, it's also possible to break a lot of rules and still be safe.

In my opinion, I'd leave the feds out of it unless he is actually breaking the law or actually endangering other lives and/or property. If he is just being a danger to himself, that's his business.... except I guess it's not. If he hurts himself, that reflects poorly on the rest of the aviation community.

Ya... this is hard one to call. It's too bad he's putting you in this position.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Right we can't make the call from here.
The Fed uses the "careless and wreckless" FAR as a catch-all