Enclosing an Evans Volksplane VP-2

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by cluttonfred, Oct 26, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 27, 2016 #61

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

This is the cockpit of EI-BDL Cockpit.jpg

2. Apr 27, 2016 #62

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Right you are, Fritz, I withdraw the question. I guess Bud Evans did know a thing or two!

The stock VP-2 has a cutout for three 3" instruments plus two additional 2" round holes, so I am sure I could manage to fit in a panel mount compass if I use all 2" instruments.

3. Apr 27, 2016 #63

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Thanks, TDD, it's great to see another real life example. It may just be the photo, but it looks like the roll bar on EI-BDL has the sides a little more vertical than what the plans show. It's also interesting that the builder elected to avoid the whole challenge of fitting the instruments in the limited cutout specified and instead made that into a chart box and put almost all the instruments in the pod on top.

I think I would aim for a cleaner installation in the stock cutout by using 2 1/4" instruments, say ASI, COMPASS, ALT, TACH in that order. It looks possible to squeeze in a couple of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" OP and OT gauges stacked vertically between the ASI and TACH, which would put all the basics in one place. Ordinary automotive engine gauges seem appropriate for a VP. A fancy EFIS in a VP just doesn't seem right, but I could see replacing the TACH/OP/OT with a 3 1/8" round all-in-one engine monitor to add EHT and CHT in the same space. A single oblong front panel with round ends centered on the 2" holes would be very tidy.

4. Apr 27, 2016 #64

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Canopies are important for people flying in cold climates (e.g. Canada).
    Two factors are important when designing VP-22 (see 21st century Volksplane thread) canopies: low drag and low cost.

Assuming that (Twodeaddogs) photo was taken from the pilot's eye level .... the extra instrument pod does it interfere with visibility over the nose.
    Which means that we could install a windshield and cowling with a shallow slope all the way down to the spinner ... sort of like a Sonex.

The second place to reduce drag is act of the pilot. The shallower the slope of the art canopy, the less drag and the smoother the airflow over the tail. IOW the lower the act canopy, the better. But it does not have to be clear below the pilot's eye-level.

Low cost can be achieved by flat-wrapping Perspex, Plexiglas or Lexan sheets. Conical, flat-wrapped sheets work great for the windshield and act canopy, but the challenge is curving the canopy over the top of the windshield and the pilots' heads.
    I have been playing around with some variations on flat-wrap, which incorporate a few Durand Mark V tricks - to build a canopy that sort of looks like a blow canopy, but is really made of comically-wrapped flat sheets.
    Building a canopy from flat sheets (Plexiglas) vastly reduces shipping costs, or makes it possible to cut parts at a local CNC shop.

5. Apr 27, 2016 #65

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

6. Apr 27, 2016 #66

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

the original builder of this VP-2 was quite short but built up the higher screen for the second owner, which is why the screen is taller than the original rollbar. The original builder flew it a few times as a two-seater with equally small people but it was marginal. As a single seater for a small, light guy it was fine, but rate of climb was always never better than average. The little box is not very deep and not very useful as you always have to prefold a chart before flying an open cockpit anyway. He also had wooden pockets for a fuel strainer and a screwdriver for the cowling.....incidentally, I took part in replacing a faded Jodel 112 windscreen and canopy and that type of overhead-hinged canopy suits a VP very well.....a Jodel D9 of my acquaintance had a sliding cut-down glider canopy.

7. Apr 28, 2016 #67

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Wish I had a picture of the VP-2 that I often see at low-key fly ins. It's red with yellow trim, full canopy and turtle deck, and is routinely seen with two guys on board. Now that I think of it, I wonder if it's VW powered or something bigger like a small Continental.

8. Apr 28, 2016 #68

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I came up short looking for any pics of that one, TT, maybe you could find it in someone's photos from one of those fly-ins?

I did come across this neatly-canopied Canadian VP-1 CF-BAT (hence the logo) over at 1000aircraftphotos.com. The problem with this approach on a VP-2 is that you want to maximize the already limited cockpit room two-up so the canopy sides need to be vertical or even slight bulged outwards until above shoulder height.

920L-2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  9. Apr 28, 2016 #69

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I'll see what I can find. I know I've even been parked beside it at some events but the pics must have been lost when my last hard drive but the dust.

10. May 2, 2016 #70

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

And here is a cockpit video clip of the same aircraft in flight! Is that you, TDD?

[video=youtube;C_LKlfDV680]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_LKlfDV680[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  11. May 2, 2016 #71

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

that's me! plugging along at a blistering 70 kts. I managed to claw my way to 3,000 feet that day.

12. May 2, 2016 #72

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Hehe, I think that's why they say that Volksplanes provide fun by the minute not by the mile. At least, *I* say that. You heard it here first!

13. May 2, 2016 #73

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

I did about 12 hours in BDL and had lots of fun, as long as I stayed within the rules. If it had had a decent engine, you could have done anything with it. They are perfectly good grass strip aircraft, as long as you have good approaches and departures, quite stable, surprisingly manouverable, cheap to keep and easy to fix. Realistically, an 1834 for a -1 and a 2100 VW or Scooby or Corvair for a -2, with modern props and you have a very good aircraft.

14. May 2, 2016 #74

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I was going to ask you about the engine but then I just checked he Irish civil aircraft registry and found:

EI-BDL
    HOMEBUILD
    EVANS VP-2
    HOMEBUILD / MICROLIGHT
    21/05/1998
    V2-2101
    N/A
    ARDEM
    4 CYL​

That does not bode well as I don't think Ardem made anything bigger than a 1600cc conversion. Then I found this on Airport-Data.com:

Manufacturer: Evans
    Model: VP-2 Volksplane Search all Evans VP-2 Volksplane
    Year built: 1977
    Construction Number (C/N): V2-2101
    Aircraft Type: Fixed wing single engine
    Number of Seats: 1
    Number of Engines: 1
    Engine Type: Reciprocating
    Engine Manufacturer and Model: Volkswagen 1300​

Yikes! I guess EI-BDL is only operated as a single-seater?

15. May 3, 2016 #75

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

It has an 1834, with a single vertex magneto. It may have had an Ardem but I believe that went to a Jodel D9 build instead.....incidentally, the canadian VP-2 we looked at has a cut down KR2 canopy and a Subaru EA 81 engine.

16. May 3, 2016 #76

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Bill Beatty basically said that the VP-2 is borderline with an 1835cc VW in the VP-2 section of FLYING THE EVANS VP. Evans and company were recommending a move up to 2000 and preferably 2100cc even back in the 1970s. I couldn't see using an 1835cc in a VP-2 today unless it had a redrive or was only to be flown as a single-seater. If I go with a straight, direct-drive Type 1 VW, which is likely despite my musings about other engine options, I'll go with the biggest one I can get.

17. May 3, 2016 #77

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

I often thought of a Type IV, driving a prop from the clutch end....Panhard did a 4HD for their armoured cars, a flat four giving 85 hp at 3000 rpm...

18. May 3, 2016 #78

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

There doesn't seem to be much reason to go with a Type 4 with big-bore Type 1 parts readily available. The old Panhard AML and VTT are great light armored vehicles still in wide military use especially in Africa, and spawned the even better South African Eland, but good luck finding those parts at your local auto parts supplier!

19. May 4, 2016 #79

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

it was said that the Panhard 4hd engine was simply the older 2hd doubled up. Time to start asking French builders for hints...

20. May 7, 2016 #80

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Here is a convertible, side-hinged, bubble canopy with a fixed windscreen. It would be tight for two with the canopy on but fine if the second person was petite or a child. For more elbow room, or just for fun, fly open cockpit!

vp-2 open cockpit bubble canopy convertible with fixed windscreen.jpg