EMS module for tablet?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

Does anyone make a standalone engine monitoring system module that receives connections from standard automotive and/or aircraft engine senders and then feeds that data to an app on an Apple or Android tablet? Basically I am looking for something that does for engine info what products like the Talos and Levil units do for flight and navigation info. Bonus points if, like the current Talos units, it can connect via a USB cable rather than relying on a wireless connection. Cheers, Matthew

Reactions: 103

rv7charlie

No personal experience with it, but...
tomcourt/enguino
GitHub & BitBucket HTML Preview
tomcourt/enguino
There was a short thread about it on the VAF forum but it died out very quickly, so I haven't seen any feedback on it. It does require soldering skills. I've always found github tough to 'navigate', but supposedly everything you need is there, if you can extract it.

Charlie

cluttonfred

Thanks, Charlie, I have played around with Arduino enough to know my limitations. I would be willing to tackle a fully-developed DIY build with detailed parts list and step by step instructions, but the enguino seems like a work in progress and I don't think I'm qualified to work out the rest. Hopefully there is another solution out there.

EMS data display capability is built into the Levil 3AW (DB9 port in and WiFi out). They've been considering a standalone unit with that capability to use with their wireless BOM and the new, more-configurable version of their app. If you're interested in such a device, encourage them to speed development in an email to [email protected].

I said I'd buy one as soon as they release it. I've installed the BOM and two iPad mini4s in the Highlander I'm building.

Levil is at Levil Aviation – Design and Manufacture Aviation Devices. You can check out their app at https://levilaviation.com/app/.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
cluttonfred.......
I hope you have better luck finding an EMS system than I've had over the past 2 years.
Here's what I have found :
1. The unit is WAAAAY overpriced for the job it does.
2. Most manufacturers have moved away from 2-strokes in favor of 4-strokes.
3. The unit has features that will never be used and cannot be deleted from the display.
4. The company website looks like it was designed by a crackhead with ADHD and is pretty much click bait.
5. When pressed for information about their product most will stop replying.

Unfortunately,about the only plug & play system available for 2-strokes is still the old GRT EIS 2000.......but by the time you add in the sending units the price starts jumping way up.
And you must use their display.
And if you want a second screen for a tandem aircraft.......$

While it's not a tablet display....the AG6 Annunciator looked pretty cool...until I asked a few questions about the product and Rich bailed out of the conversation.
I can only image what the customer support would be once he has your money.......

If you do find a EMS that can be displayed on a tablet and doesn't cost as much as the aircraft...by all means,please let me know what you found.

Kevin

Last edited:

cluttonfred

Well, I have corresponded with Rich over the years and found his answers brief but helpful and clear. Considering the very low price of his annunciators, I think it's more the case of there is only so much time in the day for one man running a small business likely on the side while also working another job.

BoeveP51

Spring Hill, FL - formerly W. Ossipee, NH
Not sure what you are looking for but, here is what I put in my Tailwind a couple of weeks ago. I took all the CAN Bus data from my engine for the display. The designer (Hayri from Bulgaria) has the same unit with a node that accepts standard engine sensors also, along with CAN Bus. I reprogrammed the Arduino processors for each display to accept what data I wanted. I am running a Viking Turbo 195HP.

I plan on putting in a 2nd display with the sensor node so I can display radiator in/out and my inter-cooler in/out
20201130_121509.jpg

slociviccoupe

Could use a speeduino ecu andd just use the sensors for inputs. Dont even populate the output drivers for injectors or coils. Or just run an arduino mega, put some filters on it in the circuit and feed your inputs to it. Then send that data to a raspberry pi and display whatever you want like a dashboard. Might have to run tunerstudio also goes with speeduino.

BoeveP51

cluttonfred

I don’t want to have to be a software developer or an electronics tinkerer, I would be more interested in a Heathkit approach, DIY with step by step instructions in other words. The Aircraft Extras AG6T comes pretty close to that and could work for OP, OT, volts, fuel, and CHT with a separate tach.

Hephaestus

I don’t want to have to be a software developer or an electronics tinkerer, I would be more interested in a Heathkit approach, DIY with step by step instructions in other words. The Aircraft Extras AG6T comes pretty close to that and could work for OP, OT, volts, fuel, and CHT with a separate tach.
That's why I was suggesting the pi. There's definitely _some_ Linux command line level futzing around to do...

But set it up on android, plug a USB gps receiver, the usual IMU's are available on a plug in shield/backpack/hat for the pi. EMS module plugs in by usb as needed. And 2 seperate screens can plug in via micro HDMI. (Not sure - could you add splitters and go 2 pairs of 2 for front/rear tandem?)

The making it all work with drivers /software is a bit harder (less so if you're from the msdos generations) but not the worst scenario.

GregParker

Standalone, not for a tablet.
Fly Henry looks like the simplest cheapest EMS. Used in Chip Erwins Merlin and a heap of powered paragliders
Flyhenry.czDBDB3A0C-C4A7-4530-ACBB-D42DEF430230.jpeg
DCD07943-DC21-453E-93A9-950ABD068496.jpeg

BoeveP51

Take a look at experimentalavionics.com They have an EMS unit and display that might interest you.

I have this unit and it is very close to what you might like. Easy to put together and code is already there. You can modify as you like. I changed my code to take info from the engine's CAN bus. I did not use because I liked Hayri's display better. It is a nice unit though. You are in FL so come over and take a look.

Last edited: