Email notifications?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv7charlie

Greetings mods,

Is there a limit on email notifications for subscribed threads? I'm subscribed to quite a few threads, through either posting to them or clicking 'watch'. I've checked to be sure I have email notifications turned on for both types of subscriptions. I seem to get inconsistent email notifications; some replies to some threads seem to generate an email notification, but I often see activity in threads when clicking on 'new posts' that didn't show up in my email inbox. I've checked my 'junk' & 'spam' folders, & don't see any HBA messages there.

I can't quantify it, but older threads with inactive periods followed by recent posts seem to be more of a problem than currently 'active' threads.

This isn't a huge problem now that I periodically refresh a 'new posts' tab in my browser, but it is kind of odd.

Thanks,

Charlie

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
This same thing seems to happen for the in-app "alerts" (no emails). If I haven't posted to that thread in awhile, I stop getting alerts even if the thread is still active.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is a maximum number of alerts per thread set at 30. Does it need to be higher?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
There is a maximum number of alerts per thread set at 30. Does it need to be higher?
I'd be fine if it was much higher/infinite. If I'm interested in a topic/thread, I'm likely to still be interested after 30 posts, or 300. If I lose interest in a thread, I can unsubscribe. But, this is rv7charlie's thread, and about email notifications, he and others might feel differently.

rv7charlie

Hmmm; not sure how to answer. I get 'yesterday's activity' emails daily, but I also get (sometimes) individual emails as alerts to threads I've posted to or follow. Example of one I can't find an email alert on, even though there have been fewer than 10 replies:

Diamond shows off new Continental Diesel DA 50-RG

I feel the same as Vigilant1 & don't need limits, but I'd fully understand if removing the alert limit would cause operational or financial heartburn for the forum's operators. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't an undetected glitch in the system.

Charlie

rv7charlie

Sorry, but I don't understand this: "If you disable the email notification it will not effect us at all. "
My issue is not getting email notification consistently; I wasn't trying to stop email notifications.

I currently have all boxes checked in the email options and content options categories. I also have the box checked in the push notifications category for 'Receive push notification when a new conversation message is received'.

Thank you for any clarification,

Charlie

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Is the 30 alert limit global for the whole site, or is it user configurable? My guess is that many/most users would like to keep receiving alerts as long as they are subscribed to/"watching' a thread, so they'd want no limit at all.

rv7charlie

I don't see a user-configurable option for the 30 alert limit.
I should have also said that I have both alert and push boxes checked for all categories under 'Receive a notification when someone…'

I too would prefer no limits, if it's feasible/affordable.

Charlie

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I will set that to unlimited alerts. It defaults for 30 alerts per thread. Let me know if this lets you get many more alerts.