• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ELT Mode C and lights - school me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurcio1989

Okay so it will soon be time for me to purchase these items and I have many questions. The aircraft will be a E-AB flown under light sport rules. I have found very little practical information for a new pilot and builder who has no experience purchasing this kind of equipment. I have read everything I can find in the regs but being experimental and light sport adds additional confusion for me. The text below is what I am unclear on.

ELT - My plan is to purchase a new or used ELT most likely if I cannot find used (or if you recommend otherwise) it will be this AMERI-KING AK-450 ELT from Aircraft Spruce I have no experience here but my thought is that flying in northwest Ohio I'm not going to just go missing and spending the money for a 406mz ELT is not going to be value added. We don't have large wood expanses or mountains and even the least populated areas have a farmhouse every mile. If I purchase the ELT in the link I am assuming I will need to buy the cable assembly and antenna? Anything I am missing or not thinking about here?

Mode C - I live about 35 miles south south west of detroit so I would be quite restricted if I don't have a mode c transponder. I really need to be schooled on this area. I would like to go used here I just want to get what I need to get by. Most of the time I will not be flying in the mode C veil and I will very rarely fly though the local class C airspace. I guess what I am looking for is information as far as what I will need in addition to an actual transponder - cables, mounting, antennas, altitude reporting, encoder, etc. This is tricky stuff to find information on.

Lights - My understanding from reading the FAR/ AIM is that I only actually need lights when operating after sunset. I would like to have position lights as well as a strobe on the V stab and wing tips. Are there any specific requirements for this scenario or kits out there? I'm thinking of in my ultralight days when you didn't need any lights but if you wanted to operate during twilight a strobe, visible for 2 miles, was required. Obviously these lights can get expensive. This is a slow (90Vne) aircraft that will be operated the vast majority of the time in daytime vfr conditions likely flying into evening twilight from time to time.

links to good sites where I can find a used transponder and / or elt would be great. I definitely want to go used on the transponder, ELT I'm not sure on. My only concern is getting equipment that I can get the required accessories for and won't have any issues regards to inspeciton or certifications.

Any information you can give or direct me to on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Back