• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Elsa, SLSA, Importing into USA? Tapping your knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caltard13

Ok everyone, I'm veering off topic here, please forgive me, but I think this site is a great collection of knowledge and experience, so maybe someone here can provide info, guidance, insight?

So I'm looking into buying a used aeroprakt A-22. They are sold here in the USA by a distributor, but he seems to have pretty tight control on inventory / prices. They are readily available in Europe, and price wise, it looks like I can find a nice one for 25 - 40 K less than here in the USA.

They can be registered here in the USA as either ELSA or SLSA, according to the distributor, and in looking at the FAA website, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to get the import registered here in the USA. (uless I'm missing something).

but the importation process, and the taxes / duties? i have no idea? I did bring a Land Rover 110 over from england a couple of years agao, and that wasn't particularly difficult, but I have no idea on an airplane.

anyone here have any thoughts, info, experience, warnings they wish to share?

Back