Elon Musk REVEALS Tesla's new battery design

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

paraplane

Didn't FORD refuse recession subsidy?

Start here: Just How Much Does Tesla Get In Subsidies Anyways?

BTW, I was / am opposed to government “assistance” to any business or industry that isn’t essential (and I do not mean essential to some politician) to national security.

I believe that the USA and the automobile industry would be better off if the government had let GM go bankrupt, and not lent money (confiscated from tax payers) to Ford, et al.

BJC

daveklingler

It is impossible to watch any launches of theirs, as I find all the yuppies screaming and hollering in the background at every single phase of the flight repugnant.
For my own part, I like the idea of a bunch of young engineers cheering for the rocket they all took part in building.

Still trying to figure out how the stock values of his companies are so high that they compete with Facebook and Google, despite being the recipient of loads of taxpayer subsidies. It just does not compute with me.
Not a lot of taxpayer subsidies, as BJC established above.

I haven't ever formed a clear opinion on the stock price. From the Warren Buffett point of view, on the one hand, Tesla's P/E ratio is crazy. On the other hand, the management teams for Tesla and SpaceX are both excellent, and the companies act as if they're competing for their lives, unlike their established competition. In particular, both SpaceX and Tesla both run 24/7, an indication of their awareness that their competition isn't their fellow American companies; it's Chinese companies who are also outworking most of their American counterparts. The Tesla investors are betting on the management team.

If you go have a look at the SpaceX Boca Chica Starship factory, you'll see giant rockets popping out every couple of weeks. SN9 is currently on the test stand, and parts have been spotted for SN17. Three Starships have blown up (two deliberately), leaving roughly a dozen assembled upper stages that are each a couple of hundred feet tall.

It's a beautiful sight. And impressive. Check in the morning, and you'll see all kinds of new developments since the night before.

cblink.007

For my own part, I like the idea of a bunch of young engineers cheering for the rocket they all took part in building.

Not a lot of taxpayer subsidies, as BJC established above.

I haven't ever formed a clear opinion on the stock price. From the Warren Buffett point of view, on the one hand, Tesla's P/E ratio is crazy. On the other hand, the management teams for Tesla and SpaceX are both excellent, and the companies act as if they're competing for their lives, unlike their established competition. In particular, both SpaceX and Tesla both run 24/7, an indication of their awareness that their competition isn't their fellow American companies; it's Chinese companies who are also outworking most of their American counterparts. The Tesla investors are betting on the management team.

If you go have a look at the SpaceX Boca Chica Starship factory, you'll see giant rockets popping out every couple of weeks. SN9 is currently on the test stand, and parts have been spotted for SN17. Three Starships have blown up (two deliberately), leaving roughly a dozen assembled upper stages that are each a couple of hundred feet tall.

It's a beautiful sight. And impressive. Check in the morning, and you'll see all kinds of new developments since the night before.
It is awesome to see; I wish no ill will on them at all. In fact, they have my respect because they've done more in 2 years than NASA has with their bureaucratic leviathan called the SLS in the last 12, so all good. My initial exposure to SpaceX with a friend who works for them simply rubbed me the wrong way big time, thats all.

That said, it may very well be a tad better than the government-contractor environment I've returned to at V-22 flight test! We on the contractor team are currently accounting for 85% of the work being done; we don't have the option to work at home like most of the NavAir folks!!

Last edited:

daveklingler

In fact, they have my respect because they've done more in 2 years than NASA has with their bureaucratic leviathan called the SLS in the last 12, so all good.
To be fair, the "Senate Launch System", aka the Moon Mars Moon rocket that can't make it to the Moon, was forced upon NASA and designed by Senate staffers to do nothing other than keep a lot of people employed after Shuttle. NASA's compensation for SLS in the 2010 Space Act was the Space Technology program and the two commercial crew/cargo programs (which were subsequently way underfunded). Ultimately, Commercial Cargo became SpaceX's bread and butter, while providing fairly cheap cargo for ISS. SpaceX is also providing relatively cheap transportation to and from ISS. Meanwhile, Boeing, LockMart and Northrop are sharing the SLS spoils...and drawing the program out as long as they can.

My initial exposure to SpaceX with a friend who works for them simply rubbed me the wrong way big time, thats all.
They might be a little bit cocky. But at least they earn it. :)

"Hey Ridley, you got any Beemans? Lend me a stick, will you? I'll pay you back later!"
-Chuck Yeager
That's two of us that know that quote...

Last edited:

cblink.007

To be fair, the "Senate Launch System", aka the Moon rocket that can't make it to the Moon, was forced upon NASA and designed by Senate staffers to do nothing other than keep a lot of people employed after Shuttle. NASA's compensation in the 2010 Space Act was the Space Technology program and the two commercial crew/cargo programs. Ultimately, Commercial Cargo became SpaceX's bread and butter, while providing fairly cheap cargo for ISS. SpaceX is also providing relatively cheap transportation to and from ISS. Meanwhile, Boeing, LockMart and Northrop are sharing the SLS spoils...and drawing the program out as long as they can.

They might be a little bit cocky. But at least they earn it. :)
My opinion is that SLS needs to be terminated. 12 years into it and only now getting into ground testing. Completely unacceptable and a genuine embarrassment and mockery of American Space Flight. Unlike Boeing, Lockheed and NGC, SpaceX acts like a small business fighting for survival, which is key. For what it is worth, SNC's manned DreamChaser would have been better than the Starliner imho.

It wasn't cockiness. I personally live off of that, and enjoy working with such individuals. The certain employees in question directed unacceptably disrespectful and intolerable remarks towards me. Sorry, but nobody calls me a "baby killer" for my military service, especially not a couple of punks in their early 20s. It got dealt with, but still left a horrible taste.

rbarnes

Still trying to figure out how the stock values of his companies are so high that they compete with Facebook and Google, despite being the recipient of loads of taxpayer subsidies. It just does not compute with me.

+

daveklingler

My opinion is that SLS needs to be terminated. 12 years into it and only now getting into ground testing. Completely unacceptable and a genuine embarrassment and mockery of American Space Flight.
Sigh. And yet it does exactly what it was meant to do...

For what it is worth, SNC's manned DreamChaser would have been better than the Starliner imho.
I agree, and I'm very much an admirer of SNC.

It wasn't cockiness. I personally live off of that, and enjoy working with such individuals. The certain employees in question directed unacceptably disrespectful and intolerable remarks towards me. Sorry, but nobody calls me a "baby killer" for my military service, especially not a couple of punks in their early 20s. It got dealt with, but still left a horrible taste.
Thank you for your service! I don't even know what to say in the face of that kind of nonsense. Maybe not a yuppie thing so much as a...well, I give up.

Latest posts