• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

elevator and rudder control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dijonaise

this is my first post so...be nice if i seem a little...well...slow at all this.

i want to design my own small homebuilt.
nothing fancy whatsoever. just a single seater w/ cruising speed of around 70 knots.

keep in mind that this is a VERY rought sketch of the concept i have for the elevator and rudder controls.
i'm gonna go the cables route for controling the elevator and the rudder...not quite decided yet on the ailerons though.

the idea here is to have two aluminum tubes one sits on the arms welded on a small platform and rocks back and forth for the pitch of the elevator. the other sits inside this one with small "arms" coming out of grooves cut as you can see. the cables attach for control of the rudder.
i've got a more detailed drawing of how all the cables attach, but i'm just wanting feedback for the overall idea here. with this concept, the pilot SHOULD be able to control both the rudder and the elevator with the single control stick, right? in other words, i should ba able to pull back on the stick while turning in either direction as well, shouldn't i?

i just want to make sure i'm not missing something. if there is a better, easier, cheaper, lighter, and...um...cheaper way...i'd LOVE to know.
thanks for any input.
(i'm really glad i found this site :D )

-dj
Control.jpg

Last edited:
Back