• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramjetwiebe

Vancouver CANADA (Keeping shop in Alberta)
In the just build the thing and most answers will come to you department, I finally have a fresh thought...

I have completed 90% of the wood construction of Roger Mann's RW4,5,6,7 with about 90% to go. (I have tail feathers to complete and any fuse accoutrements beyond the elegant box.)

I have left tail feathers til last as I am undecided on the final design. (Church Midwing or the Duster or even the Heath Parasol...). I keep changing my mind.

Regardless of such as in that I am now carving the metal bits and ordering some more that I don't have the resources to carve (all the exotic AN stuff...) I finally have a non critical question.

The design calls for an elevator push pull tube. As I see it, the tube is unsupported (difficult with some vertical deflection along the entire length due to elev movement) for the entire length. Is it common practice to have the tube merely suspended from the horn at one end and the control hardware at the other?

If you study Roger's plans closely you find a side drawing of an elevator bracket (a short piece of 4 x 2 aluminum tubing) for use rather than a conventional horn which is an interesting idea. I see no advantage over the horn except it would take five minutes to carve and not an hour to fab the horn and you would save the cost of a rod end but introduce a point of wear to preflight inspect. I might just go down this road with the addition of a sleeve bushing through the tube for the bolt to pass through. If I'm lucky, the tube will whistle at certain airspeeds.... A worry about next year issue.

Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 12.07.11.png

Back