Electromechanical Landing Gear Actuators

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by cblink.007, Feb 28, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 28, 2017 #1

cblink.007

cblink.007

cblink.007

In the course of doing some research on designing a retract system for my bird. I am particularly interested in an electric actuation system. Does anybody know of any actuators out there that are suitable for a light aircraft (ie under 2500lbs). I already have a design for the struts and such...just looking for some actuators! Thanx

2. Feb 28, 2017 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

If there is nothing off the shelf that is perfect for your application, then one of the better quality model airplane brushless motors, and a jackscrew mechanism built into the airframe, will be able to work. Acme Screw, ball-screw, etc.

The Brushless "outrunner" motors deliver excellent torque and much lower current draw than the typical cheap brushed motors.

On the "off the shelf" side of the line, look into the robotics and "motion control" industries, there will certainly be something worthwhile there.

BoKu likes this.
  3. Feb 28, 2017 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Mooneys used a manually operated system successfully for many years. I don't know how they powered it, but a good mechanical system driven by a linear actuator could be devised. It may take the removal of a strategically placed pin to allow backup operation with electrical failure.

Search for "DC linear actuator."

BJC

BoKu likes this.
  4. Mar 1, 2017 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have used DC Linear Actuators from this company for electric trim servos and Autopilot electric servos operating large trim tabs. Been using these actuators for 8 years. They also make some very large and powerful actuators that might be what you are trying to find.
    Picture of a small linear actuator that I use for the elevator trim tab that is small and light weight enough to put inside the elevator.

http://www.firgelli.com/

Look at this--- https://www.firgelliauto.com/products/light-duty-rod-actuator --- Up to 200 lbs.

Or this ----https://www.firgelliauto.com/products/heavy-duty-track-actuator ------ Up to 400 lbs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    mcrae0104, Victor Bravo and BoKu like this.
  5. Mar 1, 2017 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Mooney added an electric motor to the hand lever gearbox. If you are wanting RC like electric gear, you will have to make it.

6. Mar 1, 2017 #6

Vector

Vector

Vector

I was thinking about this last night. Don't want to highjack the post but should one consider 3 independent system tied together by an electrical switch or 2 systems(nose and mains). Thoughts?

7. Mar 1, 2017 #7

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Why not one system with mechanical interlock between mains and nosegear, much like powered version of the Mooney manual system? I don't know if the powered Mooneys work the same way. I am sure that there would be a weight penalty but you'd be much less likely to have a partial retraction or extension--either they all come up or they all go down. Of course, if you put the nosewheel on the tail where it belongs, you can just leave it down.

8. Mar 1, 2017 #8

Vector

Vector

Vector

Seems to me like you would need a well designed combination of actuating rods and or cables to make it all work. You are also now using up a lot of space in the belly(below floor board) for this to work. Maybe a well thought out design is out there. I am not familiar with the Mooney setup.

9. Mar 1, 2017 #9

TFF

TFF

TFF

Mooney uses push pull rods. Way too complicated and I like Mooneys. The manual and electric gearbox is generally the same. Johnson bar Mooneys pretty much wind the gears with one stroke instead of an electric motor. Electric would be nice but actuators would need to be built. Off the shelf hydraulic cylinders would be easier.

10. Mar 3, 2017 #10

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Look at the BEDE 5 spring loaded system.

BJC likes this.