(Electric) Self Rotating Wing

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by rotate1953, Apr 6, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1

rotate1953

rotate1953

rotate1953

This Concept has Great potential as an Elctric Aircraft.The Larger Wing can be Rotated easily by Each Wing Motor! I believe as far as Lifting.This concept has the Best potential for Lifting and Controling an E.V. Using the Vehicle as it's Power Supply!A (Smart Car) would make a Great Cockpit.Taking advantage of all the Comforts,Safety Features and Technology allready in the Auto? This Unit Lives to (Lift):ermm:

2. Apr 6, 2013 #2

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

You are going to have to elaborate some to explain the concept.

Here is my big issue - we already have autogyros, helocopters, tilt rotors, and wings that rotate about their long axis. How does your scheme improve upon that?

Billski

3. Apr 7, 2013 #3

oriol

oriol

oriol

Maybe you are considering something like the triebflugel but without the vertical take off capability?

It doesn´t seem an easy solution.
    [​IMG]

4. Apr 7, 2013 #4

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

He might be referring to the idea of a pair of wings, like Cub wings, attached to a bearing on a mast and free to rotate, driven by an engine in the leading edge of each wing.

Except that it has been tried. I think the EAA museum once had an example, built by a couple of farmers. It didn't work, as with all helicopter-type machines that don't have cyclic control. Gyroscopic precession makes these things enormously unstable, and with a couple of propellers added to the mix, it would get exciting as the thing began to turn.

Gyrocopters are a different animal. The airflow is upward through the rotor rather than downward, making the angle of attack more or less equal around the disc as the rotor turns. The helicopter's blades must change pitch constantly as they rotate to control the dissymmetry of lift and the resulting precession.

Dan

5. Apr 7, 2013 #5

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

I think he is talking about the kites that have the wings that rotate on a horizontal shaft.

6. Apr 8, 2013 #6

ARP

ARP

ARP

7. Apr 8, 2013 #7

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    The Fan wing has been around for at least 50 years. I had a tethered model/kite when I was a kid. Made a very interesting sound, particularly in high winds when the 'wings' rotated at mega knots.(rpm)

8. Apr 8, 2013 #8

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

I was kind of hoping that the OP would tell us what he was talking about and how it works... Rotate1953, are you going to keep us in suspense?

9. Apr 8, 2013 #9
    I think maybe it's one of these:
    img40001.jpg Le Papin Rouilly Gyroptere

cg1a.jpg Cyclogyro

Attached Files:

10. Apr 10, 2013 #10

highspeed

highspeed

highspeed

I managed to track down one of the OP's threads on this concept on another forum. The configuration in that thread is one where there is a wide-chord rotor with propellers out near the tips. The rotor is rotated by the propellers. I saw no mention of the control system, but all of the OP's posts are short on details. The propeller performance on the retreating blade in forward flight must be pretty bad.

11. Apr 11, 2013 #11

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

That's the idea I was talking about. The one that doesn't work unless you have the whole cyclic/collective system like a real helicopter. As soon as a rigid rotor aircraft begins to move forward, the advancing blade makes more lift, tilting the machine to one side, which causes it to pitch 90 degrees to the tilt, which then causes it to bank the other way, and so it goes. It's the same thing that makes a spinning top start wobbling in a circle: gyroscopic precession.

I can't imagine trying to have cyclic control of wide-chord rotor blades with motors on them. The precession of the propellers themselves would introduce some really spectacular control problems. Just think of the propellers changing their plane of rotation as the rotor turns, and then as the rotor pitches, and so on. Never mind the control forces required...

Dan

12. Apr 11, 2013 #12

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Tip props have been tried in the past. Never worked very well except for the human powered (extremely slow) rotor system used by Cal Tech.

13. Apr 11, 2013 #13
  14. Apr 15, 2013 #14

rotate1953

rotate1953

rotate1953

I f you look into the Idea.tHE CONCEPT WORKED WITH jET TIPS ON SMALL BLADES WHICH HAVE TO BE ROTATED AT AN Extremly High rate of speed to Produce a Very low A mount of Lift.The Larger Wing produces more lift at a Lower rppm And the props provides plenty of Thrust for each Side ! I tshould have been on the Drawing Board with the Car Horn?Turn and Tilt!

15. Apr 15, 2013 #15

rotate1953

rotate1953

rotate1953

Why Never Electric Maybe Human Powered Generator.I have Built a 2nd prototype that got 1 Major (Bug) Out.I had to reverse one side motor and prop. rotation.To get Desred Eirfows on both sides.Reversing directiom allowed me to Run Stock Rotation on Both sides.With Desired Airflows!2nd prototype has Bigger Stronger Lighter (Rotarywing) with Typhoon High Performance Motors!

16. Apr 15, 2013 #16

rotate1953

rotate1953

rotate1953

Most people use there Vectured Thrust or in My case Vectored Downdraft With control Surfaces.It's Simple But effective and Used alot!

17. Apr 15, 2013 #17
    You are spamming these unsubstantiated claims on every aviation related forum you can find. Please, either produce some real proof of your claims (including perhaps a better description of the machine) or just stop. Thanks

18. Apr 15, 2013 #18

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

:eek: ?? I tried but does not understand what are you trying to tell at all....

19. Apr 15, 2013 #19

RonL

RonL

RonL

Even I cannot follow the description....:gig:

20. Apr 15, 2013 #20

RonL

RonL

RonL

?????:ponder: 300 watts...tops???