Electric Remote Fuel Valve

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by TMann, Nov 7, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 21, 2019 #21

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I would have to do whatever is necessary to have a manual valve where I can see it, put my hand on it, and turn it.
    A line run fwd and then back sounds much simpler than the mess of valves and switches and connections being proposed and would IMO be much more reliable.
    Everything is a compromise, I’m gonna compromise to the simplest most reliable way, especially on fuel systems
    There’s almost always a way

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    wsimpso1 likes this.
  2. Nov 21, 2019 #22

TMann

TMann

TMann

Yes, but a "Fail Closed" is more likely to result in an off field landing.
    ....and therein lies the rub.
    This is the original Velocity design (STD/RG) so the tunnel stops at the bulkhead that makes up the front seat backs.
    Add to that the "Whale Tail" that connects to the push/pull cables that go to the ailerons so I have to have clearance for that.
    There is a smaller cover similar to a tunnel beyond that which houses the long hydraulic cylinder for the main gear I have to dodge as well.
    Then there's the main gear legs...... and the list goes on.

Yes, but if power is lost or the mechanism fails, you are stuck in the last position.
    The main thing I need here is the ability to shut down the feed from left or right while in flight if required.
    I did find another electric ball valve that I am looking at as a possible post manifold shutoff.
    [​IMG]

3. Nov 21, 2019 #23

TMann

TMann

TMann

I'm with you 100% and that is how I planned on doing it. I even have the $400 Andair fuel selector to prove it.
    Add to that, taking my collection of tubing, fuel selector and a box of AN fittings and try to fit it in place, physically, and struggling with it for well over a year, I have decided to use the solution that was suggested by another Velocity owner right from the start.

I have relented after much deliberation, most of that costing of "Hands On Deliberation" intertwined with a lot of the vocabulary I learned in the Navy.

Remember, this is a Velocity so the engine is in the back (pusher.)

4. Nov 22, 2019 #24

TMann

TMann

TMann

Well, I made my choice. I ordered 3 of the BVB4CV-XR33 valves from Electric Solenoid Valves.
    In the event of a power loss, they retain their last position which would be wide open 99.999% of the time.
    One for left, one for right and one (with an backup power source) for a total shutoff.

Once these are installed, I'll be extremely close to flying this bird.