• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electric propulsion and Superconductivity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current student for my A&P- love the airframe and such but the engines confuse me. I want to build my own sport plane to fly about with but I am planning on doing the first to be fully electric. First question I really have is how can I not put a CVT tranny of sorts into the linkage of prop to engine. Electric motors in vehicles don't have to use trannys but they do to maximize range. If on take off im using full throttle for power and torque to the propeller why is it not possible to lower the rpm like a car does once at speed. I really don't understand how to ask the question because In my mind if the proper is spinning at 100rpm and the engine at 250 then if I can maintain 100rpm on the prop with lowering the engine rpm to 175 will the plane still fly or not? My vocabulary isn't made up of engineering terms, I get that I should be in that field but I don't want to spend 4 years and listen to people telling me my ideas are crazy because of some formula. plus I suck at math! Second to this question is- Is it possible to use liquid nitrogen to freeze an average 4hp electric engine to the point that the coils and wires will act as a super conductive material thus lowering resistance and increase electron flow making more power and using less energy? From what I gather via the internet it should be possible. way I picture my idea is placing the batteries and all supply lines along with the electric motor in a sealed case filled with liquid nitrogen. (the liquid nitrogen I believe weighs similar to av gas soo) the idea was to use the nitrogen as a super cooler to turn the materials in the motor and the wiers and batteries into a system where no resitance existed thus maximizing my pwer to weight given my batteries are going to weigh a tone and so with the liquied. If I have the idea to use this what are the chances it actually works and can somone maybe help me understand enough about the more engineering side of stuff like this because I want to know why not ust a no it wont work or I fix tha **** thing don't make it? Really do want to make this idea possible and ive been sketching some ideas to build the frame for it but if im going to be lacking in power im going to need a larger wing which may mean I need to add more motors and at some point I may have to add some osrt of fueld engine to provide power to the electric motors.

Back