• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electric power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliDev

Hey guys, just been doing some thinking about some design things and would like to hear some opinions. This isnt really that developed, jut a thought.
What I was thinking was using an APU like a T-62 powering 1 or 2 100hp electric motors. No battery storage, just the power from the APU powering the electric motors.
The fuel burn would be similar to that of a Lyc 360, around 35l/h, and the weight of the T-62 is only around 75lbs. this would leave atleast 225lbs for the electric motors, wires, speed controlers, ect.....
Even if the electric motors came in at 100lbs each I would still be infront weightwise.

I would dont mind if the idea is shot down, as it would let me get on with other things, conversely if you think its an OK idea Ive got another avenue to follw, all thoughts appreciated.

Back