Electric pop rivet gun versus Air driven pop rivet gun, any suggestions ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mch

I've attended a couple of EAA workshops and "Harbor Freight" is repeatedly mentioned. As a Canadian, where they are not represented, I was confused until it was explained to me. Everyone else knew them and used their tools but not their materials.

Lucrum

Log Member
I need to install some blind rivets at the base of a bracket but the bracket gap is only a 1/2" wide.
Anyone know of a blind rivet tool with a 1/2" diameter nose and or some shop trick I could apply?

BJC

HBA Supporter
I had a similar need a few months ago, but didn’t find anything. I hope that you have better luck.

BJC

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
I need to install some blind rivets at the base of a bracket but the bracket gap is only a 1/2" wide.
Anyone know of a blind rivet tool with a 1/2" diameter nose and or some shop trick I could apply?
How deep is the channel. Would it be possible to get a cheap pop riveter and grind both sides off so that it fits?

Daleandee

How deep is the channel. Would it be possible to get a cheap pop riveter and grind both sides off so that it fits?
Been there done that and got a mug and T-shirt. :gig:

This seems to illustrate what you are saying:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/60653678001

I've also used a "collar" that was flat on one end and angled on the other to assist with getting a good clean pull when working in tight places.

FWIW,

Dale
N319WF

Lucrum

Log Member
Been there done that and got a mug and T-shirt. :gig:

This seems to illustrate what you are saying:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/60653678001

I've also used a "collar" that was flat on one end and angled on the other to assist with getting a good clean pull when working in tight places.

FWIW,

Dale
N319WF
Thanks, but my space is essentially two corners 1/2" apart

proppastie

Log Member
so I used the steel rivets that came with it.
Great, if all else fails read the instructions (follow the plans)

some of those tools come with multiple mandrels, you can use a washer if you need a smaller hole, (piece of steel with small drilled hole)

the 4$ horror freight tool is cheap enough to take a grinding wheel to like in the EAA video, I am using one now when I can not get the bucking bar in for standard AD rivets. If you could use AD rivets the rivet set for a rivet gun is 3/8 to 1/2 dia.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Head in the Clouds mentioned Carpel Tunnel caused by a hand rivet gun. A friend of mine recently broke a tendon for the same reason. It required surgery and he is left with a middle finger that won’t quite extend fully (making it difficult to gesture at rude drivers in heavy traffic ;)). The doctor said that this is an increased risk as we age and that hard squeezing by hand should be avoided.

Victor Bravo

I recently did something wrong somewhere working on my ultralight, and now I have a problem with my middle finger on one hand. This finger is now 20% wider than it was, and the middle knuckle joint goes "clunk"as it moves through a certain angle. I don't know if this is age-related arthritis, "trigger finger", or a temporary ligament/joint inflammation from a shop injury. I'm not happy about it one bit.

Fortunately I still have the middle finger on the other hand for communicating with other drivers.

Group Builder