• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electric fuel pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireMedic_2009

I have a fuel injection engine.

I'm not wanting to spend $400 - $600 for the Van’s fuel pump and was wanting to use an automotive pump. On the RV6A I owned the pump had a loop back line from the outlet of the fuel pump and going back to the inlet side of the pump. I assume there is a check/pressure valve on the loop back line so once the output of the pump reaches a certain psi the fuel loops back through the pump to keep the fuel from cavitating in the pump as well as over pressurizing the system. So I’m looking for parts and where to get them to do the same job as the Van's and Airflow Perf electric fuel pump is doing. This is similar to instead of buying a $600 alternator with the Over Voltage protection you use a $60 automotive alternator, add a B&C over voltage protection module for $60 and a contactor for $20 to physically disconnect the B-lead. Now you have essentially the same $600 alternator for $130 and some time.

On another forum someone mentioned a purge valve and another person mentioned a fuel pressure regulator however I don't think I need a fuel pressure regulator because the $600 Van's fuel pump is not a pressure regulator because there is no connection to the MP nor does the Airflow Perf fuel pump have the MP connection.

So what exactly is the Airflow Perf fuel pump doing I need to do for a lot less?

Thanks

Back