Quantcast

Electric Belite!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

Farfle. You should do a detailed post about your experience for the electric area. Many people want to put an electric conversion on a draggy ultralight and trying to explain why it won't work very well is tedious work. Your example would be very helpful in getting electronistas to pick a slippery airframe.

Tiger Tim

I think it’s commendable that you just keep plowing ahead. It should be a great plane with the Rotax and if you choose it looks like you or someone else can have a pretty complete electric airplane installation for another project.

proppastie

Log Member
would be a great install for a powered launch glider.....often weight is not so much an issue with the ballast that is often carried.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have some bad news for general aviation, experimental aviaiton, and electric flight. Forgive me if someone else has posted this, I just heard about it tonight leaving my home airport.

Jackson Edwards, known as "Farfle" on the back country pilot aviation forum and perhaps also on this forum, passed away last Saturday. He was the young man who built a Belite and developed a really neat electric power system for it. The aircraft had flown several times as an electric pwoered aircraft, and recently he had switched back to a 2-stroke gasoline engine. Perhaps for comparison, perhaps because he was not happy with the electric system.

Apparently on the first or one of the first flights, the 2-stroke quit on him after takeoff, and (exact circumstances unknown) he crashed just off the runway. Jackson was 27 years old, and was positioned to be a tremendous asset to electric flight, experimental aircraft, and flying in general. This is a big loss for us, a younger guy with significant talent and capabilities.

I did not know him, but Aram (his partner in a C-172) is based as my home airport, and is a member of our EAA chapter.

Sorry to see this news. Neat project, must've been a great guy.

Tiger Tim

Such sad news but thanks for letting us know VB. Jackson no doubt had so much more to share with us and so much more fun to have himself, what a tragedy to cut it all short.

Speedboat100

RIP mr Jackson Edwards !

I knew I had seen this plane before.

This is very educational.

EV wizard went to the "DARK SIDE" and bought the farm.

Bartimaeus

Created an account just to make this post. Jackson was a very close friend of mine since elementary school and we did several EV projects together. I just wanted to share that the reason that he made the switch from electric to infernal combustion was so he could sell it (he had gotten a Cessna and his pilot's license), and this was supposed to the be last test flight. His family has started a non-profit in his memory dedicated to bringing in young people to teach them how to make things the way that Jackson taught so many of us how to make things. I'll leave a link here if anyone would like to donate Jackson Edwards Technology, organized by Jennifer Hancock Edwards