Electric Belite!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Farfle

How is the weight looking?
Not too shabby. Wet weight is coming in at 346 lbs. Dry weight is at 196lbs. The belite sneaks under legal weight with the thor 250 with minimal margin, and seeing mine at 196 leads me to think that I am right on track.

MTOW is 650lbs, so even with my 240lbs onboard, i still have room for about 100lbs of cargo. Granted I still have another ~10 pounds of covering and windsheild/sunroof to add yet.

pictsidhe

Wet weight meaning with batteries?
Better stay away from the FAA...
I saw gross as 550lb somewhere, but maybe a typo or different model?

pictsidhe

Its gonna get covered too. I want to add it for at least a bit of strength, but also to help with cruise efficiency.
I have a dim memory of soneone covering an open fuse with sonething lighter thab fabric. Some sort of pkastic film, I think.

pictsidhe

Rear struts are required! On any typical two spar fabric covered wing such as this.
I know I read somewhere about a 103 gaining a pair of structurally unnecessary struts purely to limit speed. I suspect it was the Belite, but not sure. As I suggested, the designer should be consulted before deleting struts!

Farfle

Farfle

Making some more progress on the odds and ends that I need to get wrapped up before covering the fuse, and once the fuse is covered. It will be ready to fly!

The first thing was to make the aluminum shrouding around the tail feathers complete. This helps blend the fuse to meet them, as I was not sure how to cover the separate surfaces. It looks a little rough now, but will get sanded pretty later. The adhesive is West systems epoxy and microballoons mixed to stiff paste.

20180817_203807 by Jackson Edwards, on Flickr

I got the sunroof mounts built and mounted, and then got the windshield trimmed to fit and mounted up:

20180819_101708 by Jackson Edwards, on Flickr

image-20180819_124028 by Jackson Edwards, on Flickr

Also, the un-covered portions of the fuse are painted and the fuse is almost ready for covering. Just some final odds and ends left to get sorted before its covered.

20180819_183217 by Jackson Edwards, on Flickr

20180819_190353 by Jackson Edwards, on Flickr

Farfle

Farfle

Making more progress! All of the panels for the fuse are cut, but we had to call it a night to wait for the glue to dry on them. We did get the right side panel roughed in and glued on though. Todays goal is to get the whole fuse roughed in, and then to start work on the stabilizers. Friday is tidy up and finish tape, and then sat/sun its headed to the paint booth!

20180829_190924 by Jackson Edwards, on Flickr

20180829_233752 by Jackson Edwards, on Flickr

BJC

HBA Supporter
Looking good.

Tell us about the workshop. Is it a commercial shop, or your home shop?

Tell us about the dog.

Thanks,

BJC

Farfle

The shop is my dads/grandpas shop. When grandpa was still around, he owned the local wrecking yard, then downsized to doing auto resto-mods as a business after he sold the yard. This shop was where all the chassis work was done for his restoration business, and where the maintanance is done for all the farm equipment a
And family vehicles as well. My dad is a pretty good machinist (hobby) so with the extra machine tools in there, it makes a good place to wrench on airplanes.

As far as the dogs go, there are probably half a dozen pups hiding in the pictures. The little tan pup is gemma the leonberger. The Floofy Barrel sized one is Bundaberg. He is a newf/pyraneese cross. And my parents have a passle of mutts cruising around aswell. You might see sunny the spazzy hound dog and chip the old chocolate lab aswell.

Reactions: BJC

Farfle

Latest posts

Group Builder