Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 15, 2005 #1

BDD

BDD

BDD

There was a NASA employee (I believe) who had developed freeware aircraft design software for the Macintosh type of operating system. Indeed, much of that kind of interesting and useful software does seem, in fact, to have been developed and made readily available ONLY for that platform.
    Anyway, he was developing a PC version of this and meant to have that done a few years ago. The software was called "EGADS".

Does anyone know anything about this, the status, etc?

2. May 15, 2005 #2

Othman

Othman

Othman

There's MAC emulator software out there available for free download. Back when I was in university, we had to use a peice of mac software for our assignments, so we found a mac emulator, that allows mac programs run on a windows machine. Try finding something like that.

A NASA group has developed a nice peice of CFD (computational fluid dynamics) software called TetrUSS, that is supposed to be userfriendly. It's available in the public domain... but only the American public... so much for NAFTA! Anyway, you might be interested in that software as well.

3. May 16, 2005 #3

orion

orion

orion

EGADS was a pretty nice piece of software that covered a surprising amount of ground. It was great as a first cut tool and surpassed by quite a bit even some of the more formal programs being sold today.

The developer was first going to better refine the Mac package, then start working on the PC version. Unfortunately that never happened. According to his own schedule, work on the PC version was to have started several years ago however, I don't know if he got busy, retired, or downsized, but I haven't heard of any mention of it since then.

I have a couple of printouts that the program used as a reference but the information is not complete so if someone has the proper background, he can use it to recreate the work, but it would be a pretty substantial undertaking.

4. May 16, 2005 #4

BDD

BDD

BDD

I suppose that even the MAC program is unavailable now? I always thought that it would be a fun way to quickly lay out a design, modify it however you want (span, aspect ratio, etc.) and get quick performance estimates.

5. May 16, 2005 #5

orion

orion

orion

I haven't seen a copy of the old program in years. But then I had to switch from Macs to PCs many years ago so I was only following the programmer's progress in regards to the PC platform.

6. May 31, 2005 #6

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

After reading this I set about trying to fing this app, being the software junkie I am:gig: but alas I have yet to be successful. I'm sure it is out there somewhere, I'll have to persevere.
    If I do find it, I'll put a link up for everyone who wants to try it.

7. May 31, 2005 #7

BDD

BDD

BDD

What I was finding a few years ago....about 1999 to 2000, were active links to info. about this and some links directly to his site with info. about the MAC program and later, the statement that he was developing a p.c. version. He was within a short priod of releasing that version.

Later, I found that all of the previous links were inactive. Maybe searches dont result in anything now. I think that, at the time, he was a NASA employee, and that some of the info. was at NASA sites. I don't remember his name anymore.

It would be a good thing to have.

8. May 31, 2005 #8

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Last edited: May 31, 2005