EFIS Options

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Captain_John, Feb 6, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 5, 2005 #21

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

I am shocked that Stein didn't respond!

mmm, dunno?

Try 'em again?

:( CJ

2. Oct 5, 2005 #22

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Grand Rapids now has a Sport EFIS for $2795 that doesn't have all the moving maps, weather and eye candy type stuff of their standard EFIS 1. It looks identical to the EFIS 1. While it's more expensive than the Dynon, I like the display better, so I'm torn between the two. Of course, by the time I get to my panel there will undoubtedly be a whole new batch of stuff to choose from.

3. Oct 6, 2005 #23

N537TM

N537TM

N537TM

Cap John

We looked at the Dynon, Blue Mtn and GRTat Air Venture 2005 and the only folks that have split screen, EIS, moving map and a Big Screen is GRT. The others have features that are coming... where GRT is there.

We want to have the GRT coupled to the DigiFlight IIVSG Auto pilot aaand a Garmin SL30 Nav / com. A few steam gages as back up including an AI from Tru Track, we should have a solid IFR platform.

Mike B.

4. Oct 6, 2005 #24

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Great system, Mike. I hope to do the exact same thing. Can't Stein hook you up with a price on the GRT?

I thought Stein was a vendor for them?

You said that you were having a hard time finding a source for the GRT.

:whistle: CJ

5. Oct 6, 2005 #25

N537TM

N537TM

N537TM

Tom

Thanks..... I will send them a request for quote.

From what I have read I will need to install a magnatometer (sp?) in a wing or tail cone??? for the GRT??? I was hoping that I could do some labor and not spend the $$$ till spring for the avionics, but everything goes in easer if you install it before you close up the skins...

Oh well ... no anniversary diamonds for the wife this year!! Do you think she would believe that GRT is a grade of diamond???

I'm in trouble now!!!

Mike

6. Oct 7, 2005 #26

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Mike

The magnetometer is included with the purchase of the EFIS - installation instructions with recommended mounting positions can be found here -

http://www.grtavionics.com/mag_A.pdf

Rob

7. Feb 21, 2006 #27

ifyoubuildit

ifyoubuildit

ifyoubuildit

8. Feb 21, 2006 #28

orion

orion

orion

The BMA issues are very similar to what we've been hearing through our own grapewine - at first glance, most folks are very impressed with what the units can do but, issues of reliability and company customer support generally has them heading elsewhere. Given the price of the unit, the bugs should have been worked out long before it hit the market.

9. Mar 12, 2006 #29

CAVMan

CAVMan

CAVMan

If you're not quite ready to build your panel I would hold out for some of the product Dynon has in the works. They've already got an exceptional product for the price, and it looks like they're improving their products each time I visit their site.

My Velocity will definitely have their upcoming EFIS/EMS split display, and we're gonna use an AVMAP EKP-IV for moving map/electronic flight charts.

Can't beat what you get out of that package for $4500.

10. Mar 12, 2006 #30

orion

orion

orion

One quick note on AVMAP - although the unit has great screen resolution and size, the software and database is less than hoped for and advertised, especially considering the price. Despite assurances of a Jeppsen database, the software averages out quite a few topography details and as such, many features and elevations do not appear at any scale.

To compound the problems, there are several rather annoying and significant glitches within the database that reveal topography that is actually not there, and at other times, fails to show areas that do exist.

You will still need to carry your charts and do a pretty good job in detailing your flight plan - there are too many errors in the EKP-IV to depend on it.

11. Mar 12, 2006 #31

CAVMan

CAVMan

CAVMan

Thanks for the info Orion. I wonder if the system will allow me to replace the Jeppsen database with a Falconview database. I'm more knowledgable with Falconview anyway.

12. Mar 13, 2006 #32

orion

orion

orion

No it won't. This is one of the additionally annoying things about the EKP-IV - no options for using other software or databases and no interface for PC based flight planning. Much of the operating specifics are actually hardwired in through "proprietary" hardware. It is actually so proprietary, even the company is having a hard time coming up with modifications and interfaces. Yes, plenty of promises, but no action. Even the obvious errors in the database haven't been addressed yet, despite over a year of assurances that this is being fixed. But then this isn't a US product either - it's Italian and accoriding to the US reps, even they are having a hard time getting any response to queries and problems.

Yes it's a great screen but at this point, if I hadn't already spent the $1,500 bucks (actually it was a Christmas present from my wife), I'd sure be looking elsewhere. there are substantialluy superior options that run on the tablet PCs. One I'm looking at for the future is at http://www.voyagerfss.com/ModuleGlassView.shtml.

13. Mar 13, 2006 #33

CAVMan

CAVMan

CAVMan

That's what I'm talking about. Get the IFR bundle, put it on a tablet, and you can still use all the original Windows software. Those are great prices on the bundles.

14. Jun 8, 2007 #34

hihosland

hihosland

hihosland

Re: EFIS Options "stratomaster"

Does anyone have any actual experience with the "stratomaster" instruments?

I am particularly interested in their Attitude and Heading Reference indicator using one of their "smart Single" displays.
    the pricing certainly looks OK
    any and all comments greatly appreciated.
    David Hill

15. Jun 8, 2007 #35

sonex293

sonex293

sonex293

You'll find a lot more folks over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stratomaster_users_group/ . I've flown in aircraft with the MGL Avionics equipment, but none with the Attitude gyro package. The other instruments seemed fine and saw no problems with them. Their new Enigma looks very promising.

--
    Michael