EFIS & EIS on tablet split screen.....

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by MadProfessor8138, Dec 27, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 27, 2018 #1

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I've been researching EFIS & EIS on a tablet using split screen but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.
    All the systems that I have found seem to be a universal fit for all engines and have several items displayed that I dont need or want on the display and I'm not sure if the displays can be customized.

Here's what I'm looking for.......

1. EFIS : all the usual stuff with the possibility of a moving map included in the display.
    I like the Talos system but it doesn't have EIS included.

2. EIS : display for Rotax 670 without the extra stuff that cant be used with this engine.
    It's a 2 cylinder 2 stroke...I dont need oil pressure or oil temp..etc.

3. $$$ : we are talking about a program with a transmitting box with me supplying the tablet,there's no reason this should cost $1,000.

If someone knows of a system that i haven't seen will you please point it out......

Kevin

2. Dec 27, 2018 #2

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Why split screen? Can it be two next to each other?

3. Dec 27, 2018 #3

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

There are systems out there that have engine information on one side of the screen and navigation information on the other side of the screen,however,they all seem to be set up for 4 stroke engines and have displayed features that I cannot use so it's a waste of space.
    I would like to find a system with the split screen that is set up for a 2 stroke so no other unusable information is cluttering the display.
    I may just hard mount an EIS from Grand Rapids Technology in the plane to handle engine monitoring and then use a removable tablet for EFIS/navigation such as the Talos system.
    This is an option if I can't find a split screen system set up specifically for a 2 stroke.

4. Dec 27, 2018 #4

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Most of the lower cost solutions for tablet-based EFIS do not include EIS. GRT is a good option and you might also take a look at the MGL Avionics color or black-and-white units that fit standard instrument holes. For a two-stroke you might also consider individual digital instruments like the Trail Tech TTO series...a tach, two CHT, water temp, and voltmeter would only run about $300 total. After that, you could get away with a basic GPS-based tablet EFIS app with navigation and maybe an analog altimeter and ASI.

EMS-2.JPG tto_black_tach.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  5. Dec 27, 2018 #5

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'm actually looking into making affordabe pseudo-analog instruments at the moment for those who want steam gauges but not the weight. Arduinos, stepper motors and needles.

6. Dec 27, 2018 #6

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I just looked at MGL Avionics and will pass on that......$6,000 is way out of my league.

Trail Tech TTO instruments are made for motorcycles and while they can be adapted for aircraft use.....a Grand Rapids EIS would be much simpler for about the same price.

Thanks for pointing those out......

Kevin

7. Dec 27, 2018 #7

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Actually, I was suggesting the MGL single units as an alternative to the GRT EIS units with a basic monochrome LCD screen, not a $6,000 color touchscreen panel.

[table="width: 500, class: grid, align: left"]

COLOR
    B&W

2-1/4"
    Vega EMS-1 $395
    Infinity E3 EMS $310

3-1/8"
    Blaze EMS-2 $455
    Velocity E-1 $345
    [/table]

These are prices without senders, but then so are the GRT units. The monochrome units are being phased out and replaced by the color units, so they are an especially good deal.

8. Dec 27, 2018 #8

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

I use the MGL singles along with my iFly (recently upgraded from 720 to 740b) and have more information than was found on the moon landing flights. :gig:

Seriously, I have an MGL for engine info & one for flight information. Sonex is currently showing the pair on their site at $1,085.75. Here's my panel:

IMG_3231.jpg

FWIW,

Dale
    N319WF

9. Dec 28, 2018 #9

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

The MGL gauges are very nice but from what I can tell they are setup for mainly 4 stroke engines.
    It doesn't appear that the gauge can be customized by eliminating items from the display that will not be used on a 2 stroke...oil pressure,oil temp......etc.
    And they dont seem to have a warning if a pre-set parameter is violated....it looks like the violation is just recorded......I may have read that wrong though.

It's funny that you made the comment about the moon landing....I just watched a program about that last night.
    My cellphone that I'm using to post this message has about 1000 times more computing power than their buildings full of computers combined did.
    And the way the onboard system was set up in the capsule to input commands is truly simple.....noun and verb inputs to the computer,absolutely amazing.

Kevin

10. Dec 28, 2018 #10

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

The MGL Engine monitor gives CHT, EGT (2 each) oil temp and pressure (not needed for two stroke) along with RPM, hobbs meter, volt meter, and maintenance timers. I have turned off items I didn't need - don't know if they could be reassigned i.e. OT used for water temp on a Rotax 582. You can set warnings, both high and low for alarms that will appear on the screen and illuminate the red light on the gauge.

You might also consider a Grand Rapids EIS Engine Monitor system - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/grt-eis-monitors.php

Dale
    N319WF

PS: Those brave test pilots that brought about the discoveries that led to us landing on the moon have some great admiration from me. When I was a young child I wanted to be one of them. Knowing what I know now I believe I'll stand by and watch the real men do their thing.

11. Dec 28, 2018 #11

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I considered that as well, at least for engine instruments, but I think it would be very hard to get it down to a price point even close to the combination of automotive engine gauges and basic flight instruments for the sake of saving a couple of pounds. I also don't have the electronic skills to pull it off, though I have dabbled with Arduino a bit.

For example, I like the Speedhut gauges, which are by no means the cheapest option. A quad 3-3/8" VOLTS/OT/FUEL/OP + a 2-5/8" (2-1/16" hole) 4,000 RPM TACH + a 2-5/8" (2-1/16" hole) 500 °F CHT gauge together all go for about $567 with periodic 20% off sales bringing that down to $454. This is for lighted gauges in your choice of colors, bezels, etc. with all the senders except fuel.

If weight is that much of a concern then you can go digital with a pair of MGL singles that give you almost all your engine *and* flight functions in two 3-1/8" units.

12. Dec 28, 2018 #12

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Yep, I've played all sorts of "what-if" games and have acquired enough instrumentation for any two VFR birds, but the MGL Flight 2 and E1 probably provide as much or more info than the light-VFR pilot needs for cockpit distractions. When my project is completed in another century or two, or three, that’s what will be in mine – bought them years ago, but they shipped way faster than I build. I may also mount a RLI, since I bought that too some years back… three gauges plus a compass and some way to measure gas should be more than enough in-cockpit entertainment...

13. Dec 28, 2018 #13

spaschke

spaschke

spaschke

Sounds like you should use an android pad or ipad and get involved in one of the open source projects out there on GitHub, sourceforge or http://diyavionics.com. I believe there is one called openEFIS, another diy-efis. They may require some electronics assembly and/or some programming though. You can tailor them to exactly what you want.
    openEFIS looks to be what you are looking for. t.
    https://www.openflightsolutions.com/coming-soon-flightbox-efis/ looks really good.