Economical Alternative Paints for Fabric Covered Aircraft.

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Jman, Feb 24, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 24, 2003 #1

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

I found a couple of interesting sites that details two builders experience experimenting with cheap painting techniques for fabric covered aircraft. With the cost of certified aircraft paints the way there are it seems that economical alternatives are gaining popularity. Anyone out there using an economic alternative to the certified stuff they would like to share for the good of the cause?

Jake

Site 1: http://www.questiongravity.com/airbike/latex1.htm

Site 2: http://hammer.prohosting.com/~ragwings/jbpm.html

2. Nov 5, 2014 #2

tntav8r

tntav8r

tntav8r

3. Nov 5, 2014 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

7 years ago I covered and painted my little single seat Super Cub with 1.7 oz fabric and painted with Sherman Williams Krylon Polyurethane Oil Enamel. Brushed first coat on with their Aluminum, (very high in aluminum) and worked it through the fabric. Then rolled 2 cross coats of color ( wanted light gray, so mixed some black in white) with a 4" roller from the aviation paint section of Lowes box store, also where I bought the paint. Thinned the paint with 1/3 MEK. Flowed out and looks like it was sprayed on and looks great. Nothing affects it, gasoline, even MEK. I have to add an inspection panel that I forgot about and had to use strong paint stripper to remove the paint to install the inspection panel. I had $200 in the complete covering and painting. My wife is a quilter and has all the tools for cutting all of my pinking tapes and bias tapes and had rib lace cord, inspection rings left over from other covering jobs.

A friend of mine covered and painted his Mini-Max about 10 years before and it set under an open roof and still looked good so I decided to use the same thing. Now 7 years later my airplane still looks as good as the day it was painted , but it has always lived in an heated hanger.

I would like to use the same paint on the aircraft that I am building now but Sherman Willians is not selling the Krylon in quarts or gallons now, just rattle spray cans. Going to stop at the SW store and see if the factory will sell me some Krylon in 5 gal cans.

Dan

proppastie likes this.
  4. Nov 5, 2014 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Lowes has an aviation paint section???

5. Nov 5, 2014 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, Didn't you see the sign ? :)

Dan

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  6. Nov 5, 2014 #6

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

I too have shopped the aviation section of Lowes, but my True Value Hardware store, which has a pretty good selection of aircraft supplies, is much closer.....plus, I have a loyalty card that earns me free stuff every so often! The downside of True Value's aircraft parts though, is that they're all mixed in with "common" household hardware stuff! You really have to look for things sometime!

Lynn

akwrencher and Pops like this.
  7. Nov 5, 2014 #7

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I got a gallon of Minwax polyurethane clear (oil based) for my hardwood floor. I let some get hard in the empty butter tub after a few days I popped the hard layer out. It was 1/16" thick but still flexed well. Was thinking of adding aluminum powder. I like this oil based polyurethane. The water stuff barely covers.

8. Nov 5, 2014 #8

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yep-- Example, steel T-nuts used in wood construction. In a True Value hardware store it in the stacks of small drawers of miscellaneous small repair parts, (They also forgot to mark "Aircraft Parts" :) ). I dip them in Poly-Fiber epoxy primer and let dry before use and mount with a small amount of T-88 epoxy. They come in thread size of 6-32, 8-32, etc. Nice to mount parts on a wood airframe, like a wood instrument panel that can be removed, inspection plates, etc.
    I use the loyalty card for free tools. :)

Dan

lake_harley likes this.
  9. Nov 5, 2014 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

After 7 years, there is not one crack in the paint on the fabric, and it covers very good with 2 cross coats of colored paint rolled on.

Before I painted my airplane with it, I made a wooden test panel and covered and painted it and put it in the sun and beat on it time and time again and no cracks. If I can get more of it, I will be using it again on the JMR Special.
    Dan

10. Nov 6, 2014 #10

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

T-nuts......hadn't seen them. I do have to mount a instrument panel in/on my MiniMAX pretty soon. I'll have to stop at True Value.....and I just got a $5 reward gift card. Free airplane parts. Take that AS and Wicks! Life is GOOD! :)

Lynn

Pops likes this.