Economic alternative to Bose A20 headset?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jsample40

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the previous comments re: "...... headsets are either active (ANR) or passive (just a headset with internal acoustical dampening), but you can't have both in the same headset". I absolutely, positively Disagree.... (Some folks on the HBA forum will respond... "You wanna see my shocked face???? LOL).

The Headsets Inc DRE 6001B ANR unit I purchased and am employing regularly, has both capabilities. The mechanical aspect of the unit includes an adjustable stainless steel frame coupled with a comfortable top cushion and extremely comfortable soft seals around the perimeter of the plastic ear "cups". The internal acoustical dampening materials are very effective in reducing the ambient noise levels of the "Highlander" STOL aircraft I am taking Flight lessons in from Vic Payne of STOL aviation fame. STOL aircraft are incredible short field performers, but anything but quiet in the cockpit. That is the passive noise reduction aspect. This unit features dual separate volume adjustments, and can function as either monoral or stereo as desired with the click of a switch.

The Active Noise Reduction capabilities of the 6001 ANR headset come into play when the small slide button on the remote battery pack is turned on. Until that happens, this headset performs as a functional passive noise reduction aviation headset.

Once the ANR electronics are activated, the magic begins.... Communication issues such as static, poor intelligibility (... is that even a word??? LOL) simply disappear.... and you are left with a delightfully tranquil quiet... which is hard to believe given the noise level in the cockpit of a fabric covered STOL aircraft with minimal engine muffling. The electronics aspect involves noise canceling technology which I find to be extremely effective. The clearness of verbal communication, both mutual in cockpit and aircraft to aircraft or tower, is dramatically improved. Fidelity is exceptional. That constitutes the ANR (Active Noise Reduction) aspect of this unit, which was a passive noise reduction unit until the ANR switch was activated. So, I know for a fact that you can have both in the same headset.

That's my "story" and I'm sticking to it! (LOL). Seriously, this is a truthful, accurate assessment of the features/ performance of the Headsets Inc 6001B ANR unit to the best of my knowledge & ability. Prior to my acquisition, I was using rented/borrowed headsets in the same aircraft, which provided a reference for comparison. The difference is nothing short of dramatic.... Now I can hear and understand every single word my CFI speaks.

I have not been financially compensated by Headsets, INC. or ACS in any form to date.
I therefore challenge anyone on the forum to acquire this unit from Aircraft Spruce and give it a fair trial (in aircraft). If it does not perform as proffered, simply return it to ACS for a full refund. What have you got to lose? (....other than "look at my BOSE unit!!!)
Respectfully,
Jay W. Sample

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the previous comments re: "...... headsets are either active (ANR) or passive (just a headset with internal acoustical dampening), but you can't have both in the same headset". I absolutely, positively Disagree....
I might actually agree with you if somebody had actually said that, but they didn't, so I have no idea where you got that quote from. I won't speak for anyone else, but I said all headsets start out with passive noise reduction, and that's how they're classified. If active noise reduction (ANR) is added, they are then classified and referred to as active headsets. They may include both features, but they aren't classified as both types of headset. They either have ANR or they don't, and they're classified as passive or active headsets accordingly. I never said you can;t have both in the headset. I in fact said the exact opposite, that ANR headsets have both. I said they can't be both, meaning they're either considered classified as active or passive headsets.

EDIT: I'm not a moderator here, and I can't tell you how to post. But if using proper grammar, you don't put quotation marks around something that wasn't actually said. Quotation marks are supposed to be verbatim, word for word duplicates of something that was already said. Doing it any other way is misleading at best.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
See your post #14.
All the *aviation* 'ANR' headsets I'm aware of are both. Turn off the ANR, and there's still some passive NR, though some have been a lot better than others in that respect. If you don't think that 'both' applies, don a pair in a noisy environment, turn on the A, and lift the earcups off your head enough to break the seal of the pads to your head. Now, how well does the A work? (Not well, if at all.)

You can debate naming conventions with someone else if you want ( ;-) ), but what's actually happening is beyond debate.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
See your post #14...
Which is not what he quoted. Thanks for proving my point. Everything else you said is the same as what I said. All active headsets have both passive and active attributes, but they're classified or categorized as active headsets. That's how you tell them apart. They aren't classified as both simultaneously. There are two categories, active and passive. There isn't a third category for active and passive. So although active headsets have passive noise reduction, they're still simply classified as active. Go to Sporty's or Aircraft Spruce. The categories are passive and active. They're considered one or the other. Trucks have may of the same features as cars, but they aren't classified as both cars and trucks. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

TFF

My experience is the active headsets once they loose nice are barely passive. Way louder than passive like a DC. DC has mediocre ANR or they would be my pick. You would think that if they could go to the moon, they would come up with better stuff.

The aerobatic crowd with the helmets will have them modified to have both adding aftermarket ANR or earbud style inside the passive setup

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I might actually agree with you if somebody had actually said that, but they didn't, so I have no idea where you got that quote from.
dahliabunni-popcorn.gif
Many here do read and comprehend English.

Aviacs

The Contact Us is on the home page. Just scroll down or use the Home drop down menu to go directly to it.

But to save time.....

Communications & Ear Protection, Inc.
P.O. Box 311174
3700 Salem Rd
Enterprise, AL
36331-1174

Fax-334.347.4306

Email- [email protected]

BUSINESS HOURS:
Mon - Thurs : 8am - 5pm
Friday : 8am - 1pm
Well they don't answer email within a 36 hr business day cycle. (9 am Thursday - Friday night)

FinnFlyer

If you want a 'traditional' headset for less money than Bose, this UFQ model might be worth a look. I don't have any personal experience with it, but a couple of friends who fly rotary powered RVs (very loud) use them.
On Tracy's recommendation I got one. At one point the ANR got confused which resulted is very loud noise. Did not need that during initial test flights where any change in sound puts me on edge so switched back to cheap passive headset. I guess it's time to try the UFQ again.

Finn

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Or just turn the ANR off during initial testing. Either way, good point that you want to be able to hear strange noises or other telltale sounds.