• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ebay Today

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Fiberglassworker

The seller is accepting offers on the Jungster project on Ebay .

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
If I lived in the states I’d snap that up!
But I’m a long way away, I’m
half way through rebuilding a Jungster 1 myself.
I have a question, your name suggests you know your stuff with fiberglass?
I’ve elected to make my wing tips from blue foam and glass them. I’ve carved a couple and am experimenting on scrap with glassing the foam. I’m using 100g 3.5 oz cloth.
I’m having some issues around the edges with the glass lifting a little from the foam.
I’m setting the foam out first (west systems) then I’m laying the glass on plastic. I pour epoxy onto the glass and spread it then put another piece of plastic over it and roller out excess epoxy.
I then peel the glass up using the top piece of plastic and stick it on the foam then mound it to the foam with my hands.
For the most part it sticks quite well but as I can’t vacuum bag it, I’m struggling to come up with ways to ensure the edges at the wing plywood stick down properly .
You can see in the pics the little light patches at the edges where the glass has lifted and is not in contact with the foam.
Will brushing another layer of wests on when the original coat is tacky help??
8EC57261-FA46-40C5-8ACC-ADE60C0503E3.jpeg 0D3B6329-ECA2-49A8-A673-E37FAFC1721E.jpeg BB14B3B7-EC6F-4D9D-8282-DB12E5BD9EA2.jpeg DA591ABF-2744-4FF9-8AFF-797F334DAE64.jpeg

don january

Supporting Member
I have to ask why not just cover the tips with fabric and stitch along the ply I bet there is even a rib there? Some bidirectional fabric should make the curves and foam edge won't be an issue.

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
The glass and epoxy is mostly for ding protection.
I toyed with making removable glass tips too but prefer the bonded type.
I will be making little access hatches in the lower tips to make removal of the push pull tubes simple.

Fiberglassworker

The seller is accepting offers on the Jungster project on Ebay .
Well he did not get his price, so he has re listed it minus the engine and prop.

Fiberglassworker

If I lived in the states I’d snap that up!
But I’m a long way away, I’m
half way through rebuilding a Jungster 1 myself.
I have a question, your name suggests you know your stuff with fiberglass?
I’ve elected to make my wing tips from blue foam and glass them. I’ve carved a couple and am experimenting on scrap with glassing the foam. I’m using 100g 3.5 oz cloth.
I’m having some issues around the edges with the glass lifting a little from the foam.
I’m setting the foam out first (west systems) then I’m laying the glass on plastic. I pour epoxy onto the glass and spread it then put another piece of plastic over it and roller out excess epoxy.
I then peel the glass up using the top piece of plastic and stick it on the foam then mound it to the foam with my hands.
For the most part it sticks quite well but as I can’t vacuum bag it, I’m struggling to come up with ways to ensure the edges at the wing plywood stick down properly .
You can see in the pics the little light patches at the edges where the glass has lifted and is not in contact with the foam.
Will brushing another layer of wests on when the original coat is tacky help??
View attachment 126373 View attachment 126374 View attachment 126375 View attachment 126376
This is one thing that happens with epoxy, it does not matter what the substrate is. Re roll it or dab it down with a brush after the resin has thickened up a little, you may have to do this several times.

BJC

Supporting Member
This is one thing that happens with epoxy, it does not matter what the substrate is. Re roll it or dab it down with a brush after the resin has thickened up a little, you may have to do this several times.
With vinyl ester resin, using peel ply helps hold edges down. Probably will with epoxy, too.

BJC

Marc W

You may have better results if you layup the glass directly on the part, one layer at a time, instead of wetting it out flat somewhere else.

If you click on that 185 continental add (Ebay) and scroll down to the lower part of the page there's a yellow surplus trailer . It has a 2 cylinder continental engine . Appears to be a half packette engine . Same valve covers as an A-65/O-200 . That would be a really neat engine to play around with for a light/light plane . Someone is engineering a half O-200 . I've seen a bit on it but know nothing about . I'd love to have the engine off of the unit that is up for auction and it appears to be detached from the mounts and just setting there but it's in California and I live in Okla . Not practical . 🐒

challenger_II

Research "PE30" packet engine. Is, essentially, half of a C-90 with an excruciatingly heavy crankcase. And single ignition, only one set of sparkplug ports in the cylinders. Downdraft intake. Crank flange is an odd size and is so thick you don't have to worry about bending it in a nose-over. Rated at 30hp (military rating, based on 73 octane fuel, and 12,000ft altitude).

I could use the cylinders off of it . I'm wanting to put together a Continental O-200 with a plentum on top with a TBI kinda like the Continental O-240 except the O-240 has IO-360 Cylinders , there again California/Okla. And it is a PE-30 . Thanx for your response . 🐒