• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ebay Today

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Wolfen1176

Maybe I'm overcritical, but when I see a plane with paint that horrible it really makes me wonder what else hasn't been maintained.
I spoke with the owner about the plane. It has been out of annual since 2005 and has been stored outside the entire time. Didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings about engine condition and probability of corrosion in the spar carry thru. It would also cost about $12,500 to get the wings pulled and transported.

proppastie

Log Member
It would also cost about $12,500 to get the wings pulled and transported.
That seems very high unless you are living over-seas......Anyone can disassemble an aircraft....you do not need an A&P until you want to put it together again....A project aircraft is a great way to get in the air as long as you do not pay too much.....factor in OH engine, paint, certified parts for a certified aircraft and compare it to in-license aircraft......If you can do the work yourself it would come down to just parts cost. You will have to find a licensed mechanic to log and supervise but often depending on where you live that is realistic.

Wolfen1176

That seems very high unless you are living over-seas......Anyone can disassemble an aircraft....you do not need an A&P until you want to put it together again....A project aircraft is a great way to get in the air as long as you do not pay too much.....factor in OH engine, paint, certified parts for a certified aircraft and compare it to in-license aircraft......If you can do the work yourself it would come down to just parts cost. You will have to find a licensed mechanic to log and supervise but often depending on where you live that is realistic.
The plane is in Connecticut and I'm in south Florida. Not a lot of transporters that know what they are doing with airplanes are running around the east coast right now. I would probably take the chance on it if I could get it transported a lot cheaper.

Wolfen1176

There are a ton of them. There is a cherokee 180 and a cessna 175 that are sitting on the ramp at the airport I work at. Owners have both lost their medical but they won't sell them. They will just end up in probate when the owners pass away but by then they will be worth nothing more than scrap metal.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I’ve come across several of these just a few minutes to late..,,,,,,.,,arghh!
I know of one that sold with the promise it would be scrapped and never fly and another that the key was to promise it would!
Seems like there’s always a key but they can be hard to discover.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
For years I watched a Cherokee Six 300 slowly rot on the ramp in Xenia, OH. The guy refused to sell it, insisting he would fly again someday, though everyone that knew him said it would never happen. It eventually became unsalvageable. Broke my heart. I'm told now that after he died, the family sold it for scrap.

BJC

HBA Supporter
For years I watched a Cherokee Six 300 slowly rot on the ramp in Xenia, OH. The guy refused to sell it, insisting he would fly again someday, though everyone that knew him said it would never happen. It eventually became unsalvageable. Broke my heart. I'm told now that after he died, the family sold it for scrap.
It was his, to do with what he wanted. If owning it was important to him, then he did what was right for him.

My neighbor recently commented that he would want to have a particular design airplane in his hangar, even if he were unable to fly it, “Just to look at it”.

BJC

SheepdogRD

HBA Supporter
Yes, ownership determines what's "right". The plane was the owner's property to do with as he chose. The fact that someone else covets his property doesn't give them any rights over it.

If someone desperately wanted to rehabilitate that particular plane, I suspect they could negotiate a price or perhaps a shared ownership plan that would get it flying again.

Pilot-34

What a novel concept ,of course we don’t do it that way in the United States.
In this country due to our constitution we believe that ownership only gives you certain rights.
Just because it’s his airplane doesn’t give him the right to crash it especially if he has passengers on board just because it’s his house doesn’t give him a right to open a brothel next-door to a school. Just because it’s his house he doesn’t even give him the right to smoke dope inside of it

sorry ownership rights are pretty negotiable

Pilot-34

I think the closest Parallel I can think of are the waterfront communities that confiscate private land and give that same land to private developers The Theory being the land is not being used for its highest and best purpose.
Shirley a rare and valuable aircraft would fall under the same logic?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, ownership determines what's "right". The plane was the owner's property to do with as he chose. The fact that someone else covets his property doesn't give them any rights over it.

If someone desperately wanted to rehabilitate that particular plane, I suspect they could negotiate a price or perhaps a shared ownership plan that would get it flying again.
Many people tried, but he steadfastly refused every offer while the plane rotted and collected resident critters. And I never professed to have any rights over it. There was no way he'd be able to save it, and it's just tragic that he wouldn't have allowed anyone else to do so.