Ebay Today

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
It's somewhere out here, apparently at an RV storage lot. If it was here at Glendale I would take a look at it and give ya'll feedback. No, I'm not buying it....my project fund is in lockdown mode. However, I will be looking for a flying stable mate for my Pober in a year or so....I hope a Cygnet pops up on the scope by then. I still want to build, repair and fly but not necessarily in that order....that's my secret retirement plans so far....I've got engines, parts, equipment, working on more space to build & repair and I have the money tucked away....I just don't have the resource of time available.....

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is nice, I've always like the Swift (but no, don't need another airplane!).

Pilot-34

Seems like Swifts are common on eBay and they’re either insanely expensive or insanely cheap any idea why that is?

rv7charlie

Restored, they are truly wonderful a/c. Nowhere near as fast as an RV, but every bit as nice to fly. The higher priced ones typically have either a 180HP+ Lyc, or the 210 Continental, with CS prop, custom (modern) cowl, and often have the 'Nagel' (sliding) canopy. Some are converted to sticks; most have 'P-51' gear doors with smaller wheels/tires. Most have one of several different aux tanks added, to have usable range with the larger engines. Just the STC'd Nagel canopy mod cost about $10K, 30 years ago when it was still available. So you can see how the 'value added' things can accumulate.

The unrestored ones typically have Continentals from 145 HP down to the original 85 HP (that one is....uncomfortable...to fly off a short grass strip in summer....
They can often have internal structure in the tail that's a mere ghost of its original self. And they are all 70 year old *retractable gear* a/c, with the expected maintenance complexities.

BJC, why did you have to post that? My wife now officially hates you. Can you PM or email me info on it?

Thanks,

Charlie