Ebay Today

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
^^
There must be some really oppressive HOA fees or conditions!?.............or is it just a Mr. Haney kind of deal?

proppastie

Log Member
huge development.....only advantage is warm weather and free tie down....however in Texas the hail is so bad it may not be a good idea to leave your aircraft outside (I have been told). If we have any from the Lone Star state here maybe they can comment on the hail. or weather they keep their aircraft outside.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
huge development.....only advantage is warm weather and free tie down....however in Texas the hail is so bad it may not be a good idea to leave your aircraft outside (I have been told). If we have any from the Lone Star state here maybe they can comment on the hail. or weather they keep their aircraft outside.
Correct. Hail can be a real problem in Central Texas. It’s not an everyday thing, but you can usually count on a few times a year, and sometimes big enough to cause damage.

Bill-Higdon

Correct. Hail can be a real problem in Central Texas. It’s not an everyday thing, but you can usually count on a few times a year, and sometimes big enough to cause damage.
New Mexico also gets bad hail at times, just before my daughter transferred to New Mexico Tech they got hit with softball size hail which damaged several of the buildings and lots of cars

bmcj

HBA Supporter
New Mexico also gets bad hail at times, just before my daughter transferred to New Mexico Tech they got hit with softball size hail which damaged several of the buildings and lots of cars
Largest I’ve seen was softball sized in Colorado. It wrecked cars, tore siding off of houses, and stripped smaller branches from trees. I was up in the Rocky Mountains at the time for Air Force survival training and we had to take shelter under the bigger pines.

jsharp

HBA Supporter
My oldest son was at New Mexico Tech and on the phone with us when it happened, it was crazy. It looked like winter but also a disaster zone as if the building, cars, trees, etc.; had been shelled during war. And yes they were softball sized, I had never seen any hail that size before. So many cars were just destroyed, and the University buildings with nearly hundred year old tile roofs disintegrated and windows almost all broken as well.
Joe

spaschke

Largest I’ve seen was softball sized in Colorado. It wrecked cars, tore siding off of houses, and stripped smaller branches from trees. I was up in the Rocky Mountains at the time for Air Force survival training and we had to take shelter under the bigger pines.
yeah, all the cars in the parking lot were totalled. I rode my bicycle to work that day. had 3-4" of hail to ride through on the way home. Miraculously, The worst of it ended 100 yards before I got to my house. I had very little damage.

Bill-Higdon

My oldest son was at New Mexico Tech and on the phone with us when it happened, it was crazy. It looked like winter but also a disaster zone as if the building, cars, trees, etc.; had been shelled during war. And yes they were softball sized, I had never seen any hail that size before. So many cars were just destroyed, and the University buildings with nearly hundred year old tile roofs disintegrated and windows almost all broken as well.
Joe
It provide EMRTC with lots cars to test things with

Pilot135pd

I live on my airport in East Texas (FAA ID : TA37). We usually get two or three hailstorms max a year here in summer but I've never seen hail larger than a quarter in the last 13 years. I also have a couple of hangars for rent is anyone needs one. www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Pilot-34

I once watched a hail storm attack a single vehicle in the Badlands of South Dakota.
It wasn’t exactly a tornado but it wasn’t a microburst either. It did kind of phase back-and-forth between the two modes with hail that was about quarter size. Several cars stopped and we walked up to within probably 100 feet of the storm The storm was entirely contained within an area perhaps 400 feet in diameter and completely stripped The paint from the vehicle
The older couple within survived but were more than a little terrified.

They survived by getting in the back of the car and putting a blanket in the car seat over them selves.

I’ve seen thunderstorms was such sharp edges before several times but never anything as well defined and confined as this whatever the heck it was storm