Quantcast

Easy Riser for X-plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

SMORGAN

Thanks Peter
A question on the airfoil, how does Planemaker use the airfoil to calculate the aerodynamics.
Did you copy the shape from the image at 3:58 in your video and draw the 3d model using that shape or do you have to make .dat file for it.
I understand that it is based on an Eiffel airfoil modified to be a LM 7610
Regards

Attachments

peter hudson

Thanks Peter
A question on the airfoil, how does Planemaker use the airfoil to calculate the aerodynamics.
Did you copy the shape from the image at 3:58 in your video and draw the 3d model using that shape or do you have to make .dat file for it.
I understand that it is based on an Eiffel airfoil modified to be a LM 7610
Regards
I used the image in the video to extract coordinates, then got it into x-foil, smoothed it out a bit, sharpened the trailing edge so X-foil could run it. Then took the results from X-foil and created the airfoil file for the X-planes flight model. For the actual blender model that you see in the sim, I took the same airfoil picture from the video and just fit splines to match the image, Made a rib, coloered it like blue styrofoam with wood capstrips and copied it a bunch!

Last edited:

peter hudson

The Icarus II had equal span wings. The Easy Riser started as just this, but John Moody later added the motor (still foot launched) and then it evolved to have an under carraige (with castoring wheels to help with cross wind landing and no ability to slip.) All versions were still called Easy Risers. Not much later though, Larry Mauro added solar cells, a starter motor, and a small nicad battery to create the first man carrying electric aircraft! (the solar riser)

Attachments

Last edited: