Eagle’s Nest Project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mark Z

I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with this program but I have had the opportunity to be involved for the past four years at Granbury High School. The bottom line is that a group of mentors will guide STEM aviation engineering students in the construction of Van’s RV-12 airplanes. We are a basic production facility, staffed by students that has outgrown our space and looks like we’re in for a brand new aviation campus in the near future. The airplane are on display at Oshkosh and various localities. Students interested are allowed to use the completed airplane for personal training.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/125356136@N02/SA4876

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Very cool, Mark. I have seen the planes but had no idea you were involved. Keep up the great work!

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Congrats on the first flight! I love this project. Wish that there had been something similar back at my old HS!

Mark Z

This is airplane is the 912is version. Van’s had some ill made parts (difficult to access once built) relating to the fuel and electrical systems that had to be inspected by removal. Our airplane had its FAA papers and was ready to fly until Van’s grounded it the day it was signed off. Then there was weather and other issues where the stars wouldn’t line up properly but yesterday we put the first of the required 5 hours of flight testing before passengers can come along. We’ll likely get more time on it later today when this north wind in central Texas dies down.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Thanks, Marc. I didn’t know that RV-12 history.

I understand why some prefer the E-LSA, but if I were to build one, it would be E-AB.

BJC

Riggerrob

Congratulations on your first flight!

At first, the title made me think of collecting branches and twigs and carrying them to the top of a tall tree.
Hee!
Hee!