EAB "Hall of Fame" Designers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

Supporting Member
My list of "Hall of Fame" EAB a designers. Note that I have very little knowledge of designers outside of the USA, so please forgive me for not mentioning some of them.

In no particular order:

Orvile and Wilbur Wright
Richard VanGrunsven
Tom Hamilton
Dave Long
Curtis Pitts
Burt Rutan
Homer Kolb
John Thorp
Chris Heinz
Dick Schereder
Chuck Slusarczyk
Igor Bensen
Randy Schlitter

Please add your favorite designers.

BJC
The recent passing of Chuck Slusarczyk reminded me of my personal list of hall of fame E-AB designers.

A nice article about Chuck: Hawks and their History - ByDanJohnson.com

Thoughts about hall-of-famers led me to this article about Tom Hamilton: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/TomH_Final.pdf

BJC

BJC

Supporting Member
It still amazes me that Bud Evans is not a member, I nominated him a few years ago and didn’t seem to get any traction at all.
I had a similar experience with an effort to get Budd Davisson into the IAC hall of Fame several years ago. Still not there, but should be, although he just got into the Homebuilders' Hall of Fame.

That is why I have my own "Hall of Fame".

There are people in the EAA's that I have not heard of, and some that I would not include. My ignorance, I guess.

BJC

wktaylor

My 2-cents... on this short hall-of-fame-list...

Steve Wittman
Ray Stitts
Leeon Davis
Ken Rans
Jim Bede
Marcel Jurca
Molt Taylor
David Long
Bob Bushby
John Monnett

Chris Young

I'll add Paulo Iscold to that list, as I haven't seen him named before, and even though he doesn't design for the ”general public” of amateur builders, his accomplishments speak for themselves.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
IMHO "Homebuilt Airplane" designers and "Experimental Airplane" designers have to go into separate categories.

Paolo Iscold is a 1000% brilliant genius, but he has designed 2 or 3 one-off experimentals that have been built by universities. That's a different achievement than Chris Heintz who designed several airplanes that have been built by thousands and thousands of homebuilders.

If you are forced to include "Experimental Airplane" designers, then you'd have to put people like Alexander Lippisch, and Ed Lesher and others who built brilliant experimental designs which had nothing to do with homebuilders.

Dr. Iscold's achievements are spectacular and will likely continue to be such, but until he designs something directly relevant to homebuilders - my feeling is that he's in the Kelly Johnson/Ed Heinemann category and not the Rutan/Heintz/VanGrunsven category.

Last edited: