EAB "Hall of Fame" Designers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Riggerrob

Domina Jalbert invented the ram-air parachutes that have dominated skydiving for the last 40 years. The homebuilt connection was the kit parachutes offered by Lone Star Parachute/Parakit Co. during the late 1980s. I sewed together 2 parakits and made about 600 jumps on them.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I did a formal nomination to EAA as a member.

Evans certainly made a very positive impact on homebuilt aviation.

Did you nominate him to the EAA, or to this thread? If this thread, there is no criteria for “getting traction.” All input is valid..

Reactions: BJC

Bigshu

The T-Craft was C.G. Taylor, not Molt. C.G. also designed the original Piper Cub.

Dana
And Molt also came up with the IMP and Mini-IMP. I haven't seen John Monnett mentioned, so he should be added to the list.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
If Bud Evans was not automatically included in the very first group of any homebuilt designer hall of fame, it would shine a very very bad light on any organization that would claim to create, host, or house a hall of fame for homebuilt designers. Unless Bud Evans was a war atrocities criminal or a child predator, there is no justification whatsoever to not have him right up there next to Wittman and Corben and Pietenpol and any other "first group" of inductees.

Hephaestus

Actually the name that's notably absent - in my world at least is probably john roncz.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
So the EXPERIMENTAL Aircraft Association has warbird-related HoF inductees , and aerobatic-related HoF inductees, and no homebuilt airplane designer inductees?

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
So the EXPERIMENTAL Aircraft Association has warbird-related HoF inductees , and aerobatic-related HoF inductees, and no homebuilt airplane designer inductees?
Try the link in post 86 again for the five apparent categories. Something went to the wrong page, works now.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Paul Poberezny designed 16 airplanes, I read somewhere. But not listed here for some reason.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
George Bogardus
Paul H. Poberezny
Steve Wittman
That's EAA. I meant this thread.
It looks like the EAA list was all designers with a few exceptions (Jack Cox, Bob Whittier).
Also appears the categories changed in perhaps 2019 from lack of new designers?

Last edited:

davidjgall

Budd Davisson ... was not selected; apparently his membership in the good old boy’s club had expired.
Yeah, there's "that" faction of the good ol' boys' club that holds it against you if you continue to be hale, hearty, and active after your "best if used up by" date. Davisson was hopping rides at Oshkosh in a Davis DA-2A in 1972 next to Carl Unger in his Breezy. These men were heroes to at least one boy that year.

davidjgall

Has anyone mentioned Lou Stolp? Stardusters were hot, once.
Or Jim Stewart who designed the all-metal Chevy-powered S-51?
Marcel Jurca?
Roger Druine?
Walter Jamouneau?
Alberto Santos-Dumont?
Henri Mignet?
Ed Heath?
Les Long?
Tom Story?
Ivan Diggs?
Vernon Payne?

Who designed "Moon Maid," anyway?

Don't forget the fling-wingers: Igor Bensen and B.J. Schramm.
Did somebody say Jim Marske?

Shoot, all these guys named on this thread are hall of famers to me -- design a plane and make it fly? That's worth a sheepskin and a who's-who listing. I'd bet more than half the guys commenting on this list should be on the list themselves, but I can't know because everybody's got these silly aliases that I can't decipher. 🤷

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Walter Jameneau did not design homebuilt airplanes, unless you consider the Piper Aircraft Company an amateur builder. Although he is the "J" in J-3 Cub, the basic aircraft was designed by CG Taylor, and Jameneau basically followed Piper's orders to make it cute for the marketing and advertising.